Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

next tyre size

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all just after everyones opinion on what i should do.
im basically up for new rubber for the old girl. now basically my last 2 sets of tyres have been 33" maxxis bighorns, and i have been very happy with them. including off road but im consistantly getting stuck in the ruts left by 35" tyres.
ive always wanted to run 35" but id fathom a guess at needing different diff ratios at the least off road anyway, they stand out to the plods far more and are very much frowned apon. and id loose some of the onroad performance plus possibly fuel economy would suffer.
im just trying to toss up weather its worth the risk/hassle of 35"s or just stick with the 33s for another time. the car is my daily driver as well as long distance tourer, weekend warrior and camping beast. triples as my tool cart for weekend cashies and the likes.
35"s woud be cool but i do somewhat enjoy the challange of driving the tracks with the smaller rubber.
also the choices id go with would be another set of bighorns in either size or the radial treps but id most likely only go them in 35"
cheers all

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mmm it somewhat is but i wouldnt need much convinving for the bigger rubber. and really it depends on what day it is like today i think meh il just stick with the 33" then tomoz its na fark it 35" are just to good to be tru.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
181 Posts
i had exactly the same problem back when i had 33's i wanted to keep them because it looked more legal, and didnt really affect the onroad driving much, them one day i borrowed my mates 35 simex's to go for a 4b with and loved the bigger tyre so much i bought them off him, having 35's make so much more difference offroad but also gets you into alot more toruble somtime hahah. one of my mates still has 33s on his gq and still makes it through the deeper ruts sometime but he has to hit it so much more harder when there isnt another way to go, riskin more damage to his car ect, each to there own tho but im my oppion id go 35s, youll never look back even if there just for offroad

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
id love to be able to have 2 sets of tyres but it really isnt an option. mainly due to storage space or lack of. and yeah thats what im thinking the offroad makes it worth it.

·
Banned
nissan
477 Posts
Have had two sets of 35's on my two patrols and I think the next set I will get are going to be 33's. Too slow on the hills (too cheap to change diff ratio) and heaps more fuel, and the fact that my friends are selling their fourbies and I dont have many people to do the hard stuff with anymore.

They do look good though and great in the deep mud. But if you are going to use it all the time in terrain that calls for bigger tyres, go for it. I just haven't really needed them for a while. I have two sets of tyres too.

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Do you wheel every weekend without fail or only every now and then?
You've already mentioned a problem alot of ppl experience and that is we all can't get thru the deep ruts left by 35's therefor leaving the tracks useless to guys that don't have the option of bigger tyres.
It's a no win argument with some ppl not sayin your one of them though ultimately the decision is yours and yours only.

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I only go wheeling every now and again try make it once month at least. I mean when I go I'd definitely use them. But it's the time in between that makes it hard.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
33s. the risk of mr plod's wrath really renders an extra inch of diff clearence pointless.

·
Registered
640 Posts
keep with 33's ben. BUT maybe shave and plate the diffs, that way you will have the same if not more diff clearance of 35's but without the police issues ;) . While you have them apart, maybe weld/ring the cv's for a bit of extra strength. Then the $'s saved could go towards some internal beadlocks (or sikaflex....).

just a few cheap ideas.

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah good point about shaving and plateing the diffs how much can you take off a h233 diff front and rear? As yeah cvs could use a big of a working. Though touch wood standards are holding up for now.
Also what size plate would you weld back in to the bottom of the diff. Would 5mm mild steel be alright?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hey mate!

I voted 33's for ya.
I just read your first post and you listed many more advantages for YOU to stay with 33's.
I think anyone voting 35's is probably thinking what they prefer and not thinking of your circumstance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
You've already mentioned a problem alot of ppl experience and that is we all can't get thru the deep ruts left by 35's therefor leaving the tracks useless to guys that don't have the option of bigger tyres.
I disagree with this.33 inch tyres spinning up the tracks coz they dont have lockers or have had to many cans of courage wreck the tracks 'plus the rain washing away all the loose dirt that was just dug up.I have seen more people with standard tryes and 33 inch tyres do this. than people running 35's
Benos if you really want 35,s just get them or it will allways be in the back of your mind niggling away ,till you finally give in .Good luck

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
I disagree with this.33 inch tyres spinning up the tracks coz they dont have lockers or have had to many cans of courage wreck the tracks 'plus the rain washing away all the loose dirt that was just dug up.I have seen more people with standard tryes and 33 inch tyres do this. than people running 35's
Benos if you really want 35,s just get them or it will allways be in the back of your mind niggling away ,till you finally give in .Good luck
Of course there will always be ppl with bigger this and bigger that with locked diffs and bla bla bla but not every one has and those that do should realize that sitting anywhere spinning on a track with or without lockers is not doin any good.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
stop buying Bighorns. Good tyrs, hard working tread for the money but they're tiny for their size.

Look for 33" rubber which is true to size and you could very well gain near to an inch in diff clearance without attracting too much attention.

You saw how big my 285/75r16 MTR kevlars were compared to all the other 33's didn't you?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts