Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a steel rear bar to suit the 08 style GU, which doesn't incorporate the swing out tyre carriers? I'd really like something like ARB used to make for the GQ, but haven't seen anything about.

Cheers

Ray

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Kaymar used to make "corners" to replace the tupperware years ago which to me is all that needs replacing on any year GU.

They will also make a GU bar without the swivels on it according to a bloke that works at the wreckers down near Kaymar. but will probalby be $50000000000 like their other bars

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
ARB make them.

But its a complete waste of time buying one without the carrier. No point adding that much weight to the rear end. You may as well go the tyre carrier.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
both arb and kaymar rear bars come as blanks(no tyre carrier or jerry-can holder) and you pay extra to get the carriers you want. arb is like 1940 and kaymar is around 2300 from memory as blanks.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
I have the kaymar rear bar without carriers. exactly the same as my mates with the carriers but no stub axles.... Don't know what the previous owner was thinking? Waste of money and weighs over 100 kgs !!

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
I have the kaymar rear bar without carriers. exactly the same as my mates with the carriers but no stub axles.... Don't know what the previous owner was thinking? Waste of money and weighs over 100 kgs !!
You wana sell it? i reckon i could fix it to fit my GUIV.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I didn't know they made them without the stub axles, will have to check, but at 100kg, that's crazy. The GQ bar was no where near that weight, it was no effort for one person to lift.

Chers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
TJM ones are abit lighter, look simular too.

I heard new designed ones will be on the market soon for both TJM and ARB this year.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is, not everyone wants or needs wheel/jerry can carriers, but would like something that looked factory and was stronger than the plastic. If they start to make such, I reckon they'll sell plenty.

Cheers

Ray

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I'd buy one. My rear bar took a hit offroad that pushed it up just high enough to smash the outer plastic off the RH dummy light.

Pretty sure earlier GU bar ends fit GU IV - doesn't the DX still get that style rather than the full width bar? - so can't be hard to get something fabricated.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
hey, so im looking at buying a arb rear bar. . . . should i get it in black or white? i saw one last night on one hd, in white it looked great. but iv got a black arb bullbar.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
Keep in mind that my rear bar is also the tow bar and is rated to 3500 kg. It's like that to improve the departure angle when u run this bar u also need to use a kaymar wheel spacer bracket to lift the spare higher up the door.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
The thing is, not everyone wants or needs wheel/jerry can carriers, but would like something that looked factory and was stronger than the plastic. If they start to make such, I reckon they'll sell plenty.
I agreed... But they wanted $1400 for just the corners when they came out.. thus they probably didnt even sell any to themselves.
they did look good too.

Any steel rear bar is stupid heavy and requires heavier duty suspension to cart them. So add that cost to it.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agreed... But they wanted $1400 for just the corners when they came out.. thus they probably didnt even sell any to themselves.
they did look good too.

Any steel rear bar is stupid heavy and requires heavier duty suspension to cart them. So add that cost to it.
I wouldn't think anyone would add a steel rear bar without a suspension change and my ARB GQ rear bar suited the standard ARB 2" lift that I had in my GQ. It seriously wasn't a heavy bar, as I bought it at a 4WD swap meet and carried it back to my trailer (where I was selling bits and bobs) with no effort whatsoever. But there's no way that I'd pay $1400 for two corners, I'm not sure if I'd pay $1400 for the entire bar.

Cheers

Ray

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
But there's no way that I'd pay $1400 for two corners
Agree. They were a kaymar rear bar without the center.

I'm not sure if I'd pay $1400 for the entire bar.
Stop looking then ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts