Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day.

I have just fitted some Pro Comp alloys to my GQ. 16 x 8 with a zero offset. I have a 2 inch spring lift and a two inch body lift. With the 265/75/16 Pirelli Scorpions I have fitted there looks to be heaps of clearance. The tyres stick out past the steel guard about an inch or so, but the rubber flares cover them up no worries at all.

I just purchased 4 new wheels and tyres, as the plan was to get second hand Patrol rims and tyres fitted to my trailer so that I would have two spares. Pick up a set of four steel rims and it would be all sorted.

I had planned on getting the GU 16x8 wheels, but have just figured out that they are a +10 offset. I cannot see that this will cause any problems, as I have a lot of clearance it seems. Bearing load etc will be less if anything, and tyre size will be the same so no issues with diffs either.

Are the GU rims a good idea? Have I overlooked anything?

Cheers,
Shayne

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Why don't you buy some steel rims with the same offset as your alloys?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just trying to do it cheaply. No point paying for new rims to just sit on the trailer most of the time.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Just trying to do it cheaply. No point paying for new rims to just sit on the trailer most of the time.
The two different offsets might make your car track or handle wierd at higher speeds. You can be test pilot and see if its worth being so cheap, I think new steel rims are cheap.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Agreed, that is why I have asked for opinions before doing it.

I wonder how many people have bought new wheels without changing the spare also? Reckon there would be a lot out there with different offset on the spare.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
sim79 said:
I think new steel rims are cheap.
x2... I have new rims on my trailer 'just sittin' in the shed... and the bike trailer sittin in the back yard.. all 16x8s

·
Registered
63 Posts
I couldn't really see any real prob with it, realistically you would only be using it to get to first place to have original repaired, I would be more concerned about ensuring that the alloy wheel nuts are compatable with the steel rim, if not, have a set of stockies ready at hand in your tool kit. At the end of the day, how does it vary to passenger cars having "space saver" spares of different rim diameter, size, and as you asked, offset? (our Falcon standard 215r16, spare 155r17)
Just my 2c worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts