Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YouTube - Dyneema rope VS steel rope - strength test - break test

intersting little video here, was going to get rid of the old steel cable of the ramsay and put some plasma rope on because of the obvious weigth but after watching this well its a certainty now.

anyways, has anyone got an idea on what size plasma is used? how do you determine what size is for you? how much rope is enough?

thanks in advance

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I have 10mmx30m synthetic winch rope on my 10,000lb T Max im not sure how you determine what size is for you but it's probably in the manufacturers specs book ?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
The thickness of rope you get is largely determined by how much rope you want/need on your drum. Go with 12mm and you might only get 20m on before you run out of clearance.

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Like any rope under tension plasma/dyneema is easily cut on rocks or sharp edges.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
The thickness of rope you get is largely determined by how much rope you want/need on your drum. Go with 12mm and you might only get 20m on before you run out of clearance.
The thicker the rope the higher the rating load rating also. High mounts run about 50m of 12mm and normal winches around 30m of 12mm.
I will never run under 12mm as I don't trust rope it breaks a lot easier than wire, I have never seen wire snap and have lost track of how many ropes I have seen break.

Diameter= Breaking strain
8 mm = 6600 kg
10 mm = 10700 kg
12 mm = 16400 kg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts