Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday PPL,

I was 4wding a few od weeks back and went through a bit of a mud puddle going quite slow and hit a bump and steering wheel spun out of my hands, after i got through the steering wheels is off centre by nearly quater turn.

I have had a wheel alinement done at bob jane and it drives all ok but till off centre how do i re-adjust this back to the right spot??? Also nothing under front steering looks bent or anything??

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
What was Bob Janes explanation of why the steering wheel went off centre

In theory either something is bent or something has moved

Regards Don

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After i picked it up and drove it straight away same position, then i rang and they had said they do not do mechanical work, i thought the steering wheel off centre was an alinement issue..

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i had something similar a while ago , turned out the steering box was jumping a tooth when hitting rough terrain

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Are you sure the drag link or panhard rod are not bent

When it went into the hole did you hit anything underneath at the same time

Regards Don

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
Draglink bent..buy an adjustable drag link from Zordo in the vendors section and you problem will be solved

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
The steering wheel does not move on its splines during any driving conditions i can think of, so it shouldn't just get bumped out of its straight ahead alignment in conjunction with the steering box unless its rooted ?,(its the rest of the steering linkages after this that move/bend) so ask why the steering wheel needs to be moved now ?

Usually they should centre the steering wheel and then correct/adjust the car around this as dead straght ahead, if it was all so far out (or bent) that this was not possible, then a decent place should be able to at least let you know exactly why.;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can i see from underneath that the draglink is bent? before i start buying od parts id rather know, also if it was a bent panhard wouldnt you think it would be noted in the alinement form/ invoice

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If you told them the wheel went off centre after the hit they should have looked for a reason

Drag links are normally strait where as panhards have bend in them

Regards Don

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
If you told them the wheel went off centre after the hit they should have looked for a reason

Drag links are normally strait where as panhards have bend in them

Regards Don
i would have said panhards are strait with a little bend over the radius arm where it bolts to the diff

if everything is strait then i would say its your steering box

1 - 12 of 12 Posts