Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a gq with the 082 steering box that's been knackered for a few years. Today I got a second hand one from a guy who bought a GU one (104) from a reputable wrecker but says he never put it in.

A couple of questions I have is that it seems to turn half way one direction but when you return it back to centre and try to then go the other way it gets tight. Is because its not hooked up and has no fluid in it???

Also the pitman arm is a lot steeper than my gq one. Will that matter?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
I can’t answer your first question with certainty but I believe that would be fine.

Also your wording was a little ambiguous but I’m assuming you bought the 104 (GU) one off old mate?

If so, then it’s steeper because the rod end goes in from above, downwards, as opposed to your GQ one which goes upwards from underneath.

The main issue you have, however, is that the GQ and GU have a slightly different taper, so even though it will physically go in it is very bad juju as you’ll have just a small ring of contact patch instead of the whole cone as it should be.

You’ll need a GU rod end for the steering box end. If you have an aftermarket drag link you should be able to get just one end to replace it, if not perhaps take the opportunity to buy a stronger drag link but order it with a GQ end and a GU end, and make sure they label the ends because you can’t tell the difference by looking at it.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
nissan
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heaps for your help mate. Yes that makes sense. Also yes the one I’ve purchased is the 104.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts