Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents
This is probably buried somewhere in all the info on the site but it like the ole needle in the haystack thing and I haven't had any luck thus far.
I have a GQ but I have retro fitted a GU power steering box a few years back. The box is what I believe to be the cause of my current steering issues as I have good flow and pressure from the pump but very limited power assist. All the components of the front are free and good.

Anyway it currently has a #104 box from a 4/04 trayback GU and seeing as I am about to get another box is there any difference in the box numbers and what one should I be looking at? It is mainly used for comp stuff these days so need the better box if there is one better than others.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Bloody hell Clint, don't see you around here,,, ever.

You've got the good box mate, the 104

Are you not getting much power assistance just at low rpm or at higher rpm aswell?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you mate. Yeah I have been absent from here for quite some time.
I've spread the search far and wide as responses have been a bit light on.

At idle and at 1500rpm I am getting good flow, visually with the return line jigged up into the top of the res so I can see it. When you operate the steering the flow is directed into the power piston to provide assistance and hits relief on the stops at 1250psi, I am getting this occurring but it hits relief at about 1/4 turn.
I have played with all the front end components and everything is free and I can turn it lock to lock by hand with it disconnected from the box, I can turn the box from the pitman arm lock to lock freely so comfortable that the box is mechanically sound.
With the front end off the ground I can steer lock to lock but it has some resistance, like it should feel if it were on the ground.
I am now leaning to the power piston being knackered. I'm going to pick up another box today and that should sort it with any luck.
If I can get this sorted I might then look at pressure and flow mods to the pump. I tried to shim the relief spring but that did nothing to pressure so I will need to find a stiffer spring to try that.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Ahh well, see how you go with a different box.

Do I remember you saying that you're going hydro assist aswell?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not at this stage however if I get into more rock I will look into it.
I'll see how it goes first with the box sorted and I would still like to bump the pressure and improve flow but I'll see how it goes first.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that didn't work. Either 2 boxes are the same or the pump is no good.
It produces the right pressure but it's not working the steering.
Any idea what after market pumps are any good for the patrols?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts