Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what steering dampners do and if they should be fitted?
If so are the easy DIY?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Lots! the short answer is they can absorb a little bit of wheel wobble you may get from time to time, they give a bit of resistance to the steering to make it easy to stay in a straight line on bumpy roads. If you didn't have one your vehicle would be intolerable to drive.

They are quite simple to fit if you have a few tools.

I'll move this to suspension as it's not a specific ZD30 subject.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Lots! the short answer is they can absorb a little bit of wheel wobble you may get from time to time, they give a bit of resistance to the steering to make it easy to stay in a straight line on bumpy roads. If you didn't have one your vehicle would be intolerable to drive.

They are quite simple to fit if you have a few tools.

I'll move this to suspension as it's not a specific ZD30 subject.

Don't know about 'intolerable' as I accidentally smashed one to bits offroad and drove 400kms home before I noticed it busted up hanging down in the driveway. I think if the rest of the front end is set up correctly they have less work to do. Too many people using them as a bandaid for another problem. But yes they do serve the purposes listed above.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Don't know about 'intolerable' as I accidentally smashed one to bits offroad and drove 400kms home before I noticed it busted up hanging down in the driveway. I think if the rest of the front end is set up correctly they have less work to do. Too many people using them as a bandaid for another problem. But yes they do serve the purposes listed above.
OK so a little bit of poetic license, so sue me :), but on some vehicles that is what the effect would be.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say front end set correctly, is there more I can do other than just having my upgraded suspension?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
When you say front end set correctly, is there more I can do other than just having my upgraded suspension?

Hey mate, it's a topic in itself but generally I was referring to having all components of the front end set up correctly including good bushes, correct alignment, correct bearing preload, and decent suspension parts.

Is there anything wrong with how yours drives now? ..if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Na mate. Drive really nice.
I just realized I asked a dumb question as my patrol already has one, what I really wanted to know. Is if I should upgrade from my stock dampner?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
The stock ones on the GU are ok. What model do you have. Easy to test. Take one end off and try to push/pull it in small movements, eg in/out 5-20mm...if there is any slip or play it's either rooted or a poor quality aftermarket job. I wouldn't bother upgrading it unless you need to. Whatever you do just avoid the bling RTC dampers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what your saying is there shouldn't be any movement at all?
Or should only move that small amount

1 - 12 of 12 Posts