Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steering moving off centre and intermittent death wobble:: Now with pics!!!

I've been having problems with my steering moving off centre, it started when I thumped a tree stump in some long grass, I got the steering aligned to straight again but then it came out of centre the other way shortly after. I lived with it like this for ages and nothing changed but just recently its developed the infamous death wobble. It comes in randomly between 60-100km/h it gets worse if I try to drive through it and its very violent, after this happened a couple of times I noticed the steering was even more off centre. The car still seems to track fine though although there is alittle wear on the left front.

I took it to a suspension shop and the guy said he couldn't see anything wrong other then the alignment, and to get a wheel alignment done. The guy I took it too to do the wheel alignment said it was fine, but that my front left tyre was slightly out of round.

I can't see how an out of round tyre could cause an intermittent problem but my current plan of attack is to get the wheels balanced and rotated and see if the problem goes away. The problem with the moving steering wheel however I have no solution for and no idea what could cause it.

The car has a 2" lift, pedders lift, nothalene bushes all round except the panhard rod which has rubber bushes. Lift was done approx 15k ago and all the suspension was done at the same time, supposedly the rubber bushes were put in to stop the shake (last owner did the work)

Also I have searched and read the other threads but can't find any mention of the moving steering wheel.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
your steering box is shagged , mine did the same, basicly the cogs are jumping or slipping in the steering box and this is why your steering wheel keeps moving off center, it is also possible it is slipping on the steering shaft but i think it is the box

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
yep killed one steering box raining power steer oil, new box done the same again will buy another soon change them and get it repair

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it rebuildable/ repairable? Or is it a case of throwing it away and buying a new one, second hand ones are sitting at 175 on ebay non recoed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
get a gu or late gq there alot stronger. i paid 330 4 a gu box with only 10 000ks on it. a recon 1 is about 650+ 4 gq

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I had the steering wheel offcenter after hittin a log, it was a bent steering arm.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
id be checking steering damper and definately changing that out of round tyre it would be enough to cause death wobbles even more so if damper is old

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
for the wobbles look at replacing the panhard bushes , and if it still wobbles then i would look at your king pin bearings , it should take about 5kg of force to turn the hubs (with the steering arm and trailing arms removed) if they turn really easily take out the bottom shim under the kingpin cap as this is the main one that will wear , put back together and if it is still too loose then take out the top shim

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 2.8TD
6 Posts
for the wobbles look at replacing the panhard bushes , and if it still wobbles then i would look at your king pin bearings , it should take about 5kg of force to turn the hubs (with the steering arm and trailing arms removed) if they turn really easily take out the bottom shim under the kingpin cap as this is the main one that will wear , put back together and if it is still too loose then take out the top shim
The work shop manual specifically says have equal shims on both top and bottom. So don't just remove one. I removed both shims in my GU and the infamous death wobble has disappeared! So relieved. That was just doing one side. Will do the other tomorrow. Good luck with it all.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
The work shop manual specifically says have equal shims on both top and bottom. So don't just remove one. I removed both shims in my GU and the infamous death wobble has disappeared! So relieved. That was just doing one side. Will do the other tomorrow. Good luck with it all.

yes i know the workshop manual states that and i would if the bearings are new , but the bottom bearings are the main ones that will wear as they have the weight of the patrol on them , just removing one shim should bring it back to where it was , plus removing both shims may make it too tight , that why i sugest just doing the bottom one first

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well it turns out the chassis is broken at the steering box, car is ****ed. I'll probably be parting it out shortly

·
Registered
51 Posts
remember simple things like castor bushs (radius arm) can also be the problem. when they are stuffed or you have lifted (usually over 3inches) your truck and you hit a pothole the steering goes and nearly sends you off into the bush, or someones house!! (about $150 for 2 degree castor correction set,1 degree for every inch of lift, you'll need a bearing press to press them in)

as for those serious wobbles........ i'd say you steering arm(draglink), its the easiest thing to stuff, it sits right down in front of you diff - its the first thing to make contact with tree stumps and rocks!! (new one with servicable tie rod ends and fully adjustable - wich means a proper wheel alignment about $250ish from patrolapart)

these two simple mods..... and she'll steer better than ever.

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoops I edited my other post in stead of replying, car is ****ed chassis is destroyed at the steering box looking at several grand to fix so I'll probably part it out shortly.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Whoops I edited my other post in stead of replying, car is ****ed chassis is destroyed at the steering box looking at several grand to fix so I'll probably part it out shortly.
several grand is a bit overboard have u taken it in to an engineering shop they should beable to repair and brace it . considering i had gu coil cabs snapping chassis and they were repairing them for 1500 odd dollars i think urs would be a lot cheapa than that

·
Registered
175 Posts
So I call bingo.
My old mav did this, Mannel motors fixed it for$500. Ground the crack to a 'v', drilled the end of the crack, welded and plated a bit. Bugger of a spot to work on but on a hoist not too bad.
Take it elsewhere that has fixed this problem before and track down a factory brace for it.

When you say destroyed , what is, just cracked or mangled.

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't seen it yet, its locked up at the workshop I took it to. From what he's said its cracked and twisted, I'll know more when I see it tomorrow morning. He quoted me at $3000 + an engineers report as its chassis work.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, its locked up at the workshop I took it to. From what he's said its cracked and twisted, I'll know more when I see it tomorrow morning. He quoted me at $3000 + an engineers report as its chassis work.
There was a Nissan factory recall in 1991 by Nissan for the GQ for this very thing!
The chassis cracking around the stg box and panhard bracket and not from hitting anything either, just from normal off road work.
If it was cracked it was repaired at an approved local crash shop and the H/D bracing was put on around the stg box and panhard bracket, if it wasn't cracked the bracing was put on anyway. Mine has one.
Unfortunately it happened to a few GQ's after the recall too. If you can track down the Nissan bracing like blackmav suggested (may still be available from Nissan, ask Nizzbits on here) it can easily be repaired and the brace fitted.
$3000 to fix sounds a bit hmmm though. Can you get some pics and put them up here? Some of us on here are qualified fabricators etc and might be able to help with advice about fixing it although nothing is certain without seeing it in the flesh.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't have a decent camera up here but I will try and take some phone photos. I can't believe 2 suspension places checked out the car and found nothing....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts