Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help ! I have an 08 3L patrol wagon, I have just put new 285, 65 R17 geolander on, and there great, However, I have started to get a vibration in my steering at about 100K’s, I have taken it back twice now to Bob Jane and they have checked out the vehicle re-balanced and wheel alignment each time and have not had a win as yet, They told me the shocks are on the way out (which is a good excuse for the 2” lift), but anyone else had the same steering problem and solved it any input would be great

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
31 Posts
Hi Matt. I have just put new shocks in my Gu last weekend and new tyres today. It had the 90-100km/h wobble common in patrols. I put a new Tough Dog Heavy Duty RTC (return to centre) steering damper on and it's awesome. It has the big spring on the outside to pull the steering wheel to centre. Is designed for cars with Big tyres and actually says it stops steering wobble and wheel kickback. It actually works. $165 very well spent.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a RTC dampener

I'd go and get an "on wheel" balance and your truck realigned now that you have different tyres on.

go to a truck wheel aligner rather than a general "off vehicle" shop

·
Registered
nissan gu
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Ive had to balances done in 2 weeks, I will be putting new shocks on this week and i will have a look at the tough dog dampener, Not sure what outfit to use for the 2" lift, looking at the new TJM gold series with casters and all the bits, I did notice a little bit of movement in the wheel up and down, not in bearing, when the car was jacked up i put a bar under the tyre and lifted it and there was a small knock, might take it back to nissan to get it re-packed see if that helps

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
do a search for RTC or return to centre dampeners on here... there's some varied opinions on whether they'll eventually bugger your steering up - or just mask the base problem....

in my case, tyres and lift caused problems and I ended up with getting caster done, as well as my bearings

1 - 5 of 5 Posts