Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with a 3.0crd with 2 3/4" exhaust and Steinbauer module, what setting have you found best on the module? Keen to hear opinions.

THanks,

Anthony

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
No exhaust, but I can probably get my settings tomorrow evening - doing some wiring then so will whip it off and open it up. But from what I've heard it's simply a matter of turn it up, drive it, repeat, till you get black smoke under acceleration - then go back one setting.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
Mine is turned to almost two thirds, dont get any black smoke under acceleration

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for info. Smoke is not a problem. I am getting some power surges at time under acceleration. Waiting for Steinbauer's advice also.

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Hi Antman,

I have a Steinbauer on my GUVI and have it set at 115%. No black smoke, i have plenty of power and good fuel figures. I do have a 3inch exhaust though..

Cheers,
George

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
I've got a DPChip, but made an interesting observation recently that may well be applicable to Steinbauer. When I originally installed the DPChip, I went progressively from the standard middle setting (5) observing how the engine performed and what degree of smoke was present under heavy load/acceleration. Whilst the power felt to be increasing, at 8, it was blowing smoke far too much to tolerate, so I backed it off to 7 and left it like that for the last 50,000km.

Recently, I finally installed my ETG gauge and decided to see what effect the various DPChips settings had on exhaust temps. As I progressively dropped the settings back to 5 and then even 0, the exhaust temps stayed pretty much the same except for, from memory, a slight increase at 6. But what I really noticed was the fact that the Patrol had much better performance at setting 5, compared to the previous 7 and ever since leaving it at that setting, it's just felt better.

I think as the engine has bedded in, there hasn't really been the need for the higher setting and, if anything, it's been over-fuelling and the ECU has adjusted things to compensate, with no major increase in power. So if you're installing a Steinbauer, try all the settings and at some point in time after the engine has bedded in, try the setting again and see what you get.

Cheers

Ray

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Great tip, Ray - I'll do that.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
I've got a DPChip, but made an interesting observation recently that may well be applicable to Steinbauer. When I originally installed the DPChip, I went progressively from the standard middle setting (5) observing how the engine performed and what degree of smoke was present under heavy load/acceleration. Whilst the power felt to be increasing, at 8, it was blowing smoke far too much to tolerate, so I backed it off to 7 and left it like that for the last 50,000km.

Recently, I finally installed my ETG gauge and decided to see what effect the various DPChips settings had on exhaust temps. As I progressively dropped the settings back to 5 and then even 0, the exhaust temps stayed pretty much the same except for, from memory, a slight increase at 6. But what I really noticed was the fact that the Patrol had much better performance at setting 5, compared to the previous 7 and ever since leaving it at that setting, it's just felt better.

I think as the engine has bedded in, there hasn't really been the need for the higher setting and, if anything, it's been over-fuelling and the ECU has adjusted things to compensate, with no major increase in power. So if you're installing a Steinbauer, try all the settings and at some point in time after the engine has bedded in, try the setting again and see what you get.

Cheers

Ray
Hey Ray do you have a 3" exhaust? if so do you have a dawes valve? Just wondering if I would be right to whack a exhaust on without a boost control on a crd or is it a must(already have a steinbauer installed) ?

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Hey Ray do you have a 3" exhaust? if so do you have a dawes valve? Just wondering if I would be right to whack a exhaust on without a boost control on a crd or is it a must(already have a steinbauer installed) ?
I currently run the standard exhaust. I queried Taipan twice about putting on a 3" exhaust with a chip and not installing a dawes valve and all I got from them was crap, wouldn't give me a straight answer. They kept insisting that when the 'MAF fails...', and I kept asking 'But what if the MAF is working fine?' Probably just covering their ar*e. George has a chip and a 3" (locally made) without a dawes and it seems to run fine. I reckon that the CRD ECU is able to control boost so that you don't need a dawes.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
With standard exhaust just keep it at 100%
when I had the 2-2/3 had it set to 110%
tryed 140% holy shyte nearly put a V8 Cruser to shame but you could follow your soot trail home

important thing find a place that tunes the steinbaur chip, they will alter the fuel maps allowing more power and less smoke defenetly worth getting it dyno tuned to suit the vehicle. If you ring stinbaur and tell them you are not happy with results you might get a dyno tune for free.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had my 2007 CRD on the dyno after fitting a Steinbauer and a 3" exhaust from Scotts Rods.
I had it at 100% before,but the dyno figures gave a too rich fuel/air setting,so we set it to 90% and then to 80% which gave a good fuel/air ratio,according to the dyno operator,and lost only minimal power.
Everything goes well and no problems.

Cheers

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
I had my 2007 CRD on the dyno after fitting a Steinbauer and a 3" exhaust from Scotts Rods.
I had it at 100% before,but the dyno figures gave a too rich fuel/air setting,so we set it to 90% and then to 80% which gave a good fuel/air ratio,according to the dyno operator,and lost only minimal power.
Everything goes well and no problems.

Cheers
I hope the guy running the dyno wasn't trying to get air/fuel ratios the same as for petrol; a whole word of difference between diesel and petrol.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Like Ray, I too had set my chip (Steinbauer) at about 125%. I have now tuned it back to 110-115%. My power is much better and my economy is now very good. 12.5l/100kms is a bad tank for me nowdays. Im wrapped about that and im getting more power from my Patrol.

As Ray also said the CRD ECU does and excellent job of controlling boost. I have the 3inch exhaust no dawes and everything is running really well...

Very happy with my setup...

Cheers,
George

1 - 14 of 14 Posts