Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just something to be aware of is getting a stone from roadworks in thru the bonnet scoop & into your intercooler fan sitting on top of the 4.2s IC. One small blue metal stone about 8mm in diameter has just shredded my intercooler to bits, to the RS throw away stage. I was on a long trip with the music on & didnt hear it until I pulled up & was idling down, too late the damage was done, as my fan is always on !!! Anyone recommend a recore company that do change overs, that also improve performance as the standard IC is pretty crap I reckon. A heavy gauge mesh could help on the bonnet scoop to stop this happening to anyone else.
Hope someone gets some benefit out of this post???

Cheers Steve

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
Chances of bits of intercooler having gone through everythign else???

Theres sellers on ebay that do exchange Icoolers.. several threads on em on here. Also awill4x4 on here does exchange coolers.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,855 Posts
Lose the fan - it's pointless anyway.

Cross country aparantly do a good TMIC for the troll...

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chances of bits of intercooler having gone through everythign else???

Theres sellers on ebay that do exchange Icoolers.. several threads on em on here. Also awill4x4 on here does exchange coolers.
Hi Truckster, all the fins are shagged but the core has only one hairline split, just looks worse for wear, could have been a different story if I didn't pull up???

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
I can personally recommend awill4x4 recoring of the intercooler. He is very professional to deal with and does a superb job.
One VERY satisfied customer.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Lose the fan - it's pointless anyway.
the fan is pointless apparently. just saying, at speed it might not do much, but churning through hot sand at the beach on a hot day moving 5km/h,there is going to be 0 airflow through that IC. put the fan on, airflow cooling your intake charge. the intercooler needs airflow to work, more so when your going slow giving it ****.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,855 Posts
I understand the logic at low speed. But when it becomes a restriction at speed (where MOST people spend MOST of their time) it's less than pointless. The only place to put a fan would be a few inches below the IC - to induce airflow at low speed, but not cause a restriction at high. However, most bolt them directly up to the IC...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.