Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll.

so i've been spending the past several hours scanning over hundreds of threads on here and still have no luck finding what is going on with my truck.

I have a 99 gu 4.2 cab, which since last week has been making some noise from the front left wheel region.
I have tried checking everything even down to the point of replacing the wheel bearings.

what is happening is when i drive the noise is there, if i put it in neutral and roll it goes away immediately.
tried locking hubs and driving in 4h and it still is there.

the noise is a intermittent rattle/scrapping kind of sound.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
nissan
81 Posts
"Tough one", dont allways assume the noise is coming from where you think it is, noises can travel up and down drive shafts, ie a tappet noise at coast speed in a holden ended up being a cracked crown wheel in the diff.
Good luck though, I hope you can track it down.

cheers Paul.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Only thing i can think of that ive had like this was when i stupidly let my brake pads wear too thing, and they started shearing chunks off of my rotor, which sounded alot like what you've described

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your right on the money with that Paul.
it honestly sounds like the front left wheel side, but turns out it's not.

so i decided to get a mate who does brakes and clutches for a living to have a look and he 100% believes it is the thrust bearing gone, because also when i press the clutch and release it, it gives a cluck (which being inside a 4.2 diesel with a dual 3" exhaust, you cant really hear the outside world) so will chuck her up on the hoist friday arvo over a couple of cold bundys and change the clutch at the same time seeing i'm doing this much effort.

Will let you's know if it gets solved.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Mmm pulling the gearbox out of a GU is not how I would want to spend a friday arvo, bundys or not!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Mmm pulling the gearbox out of a GU is not how I would want to spend a friday arvo, bundys or not!
Is it a hard job? My main rear seal **** itself lately, and looking under the car there seems to be a bit of **** in the way...

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
Plenty of times i thought my front brakes were metal to metal and it was the blood y rears!

Id be pulling off a back wheel first.

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Is it a hard job? My main rear seal **** itself lately, and looking under the car there seems to be a bit of **** in the way...

Extremely heavy gearbox and virtually no clearance around the bellhousing in the transmission tunnel, so yeh it is a bit of a mongrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts