Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 2001 patrol wagon is doing lots of weird things in regards to cooling/heating the first thing I noticed was that the temp gauge would sit under half way as always but the heater would only blow out cold air then suddenly hot air, but no other issues? But now it's using some water, and the temp gauge will randomly go all the way to near the red then drop under half as normal then 5 minutes time do it again but the engine seems to run like a dream, so I'm not sure what to think, but normally if using water and no visible leak I'm thinking maybe a cracked head?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Hi my 2001 patrol wagon is doing lots of weird things in regards to cooling/heating the first thing I noticed was that the temp gauge would sit under half way as always but the heater would only blow out cold air then suddenly hot air, but no other issues? But now it's using some water, and the temp gauge will randomly go all the way to near the red then drop under half as normal then 5 minutes time do it again but the engine seems to run like a dream, so I'm not sure what to think, but normally if using water and no visible leak I'm thinking maybe a cracked head?
Have you recently done any work to the cooling system?

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not recently, about 6 months ago I replaced a turbo manifold gasket so had to drain the coolant. But had no issues

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Are your caps around the right way? The blanking cap should be on the radiator and the pressure cap should be on the overflow bottle.

Sounds like you are getting air in there

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah checked the caps today and they were on the right way around, but the radiator was pressurized

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Hmm should it still be pressurised over night?

Have you got another radiator cap to try for the top tank?

Also have changed the thermostat?

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't changed the thermostat and don't have another cap but I will purchase a new thermostat & cap and see what happens

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Being that you mention about the heater being cold, then suddenly hot, and the temp going up to hot it definitely sounds like air in the system...

·
Registered
nissan
86 Posts
I had similar issues with the heater suddenly getting hot and then cold again each time I turned the temperature dial. Plus was using coolant. Ended up being a cracked head...

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah spoke to a mechanic he said with the bubbling in the coolant header tank it will more than likely be a cracked head😦

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also forgot to mention last two days it is having trouble cranking over when first starting for the day and runs rough for about 3 seconds then runs fine all day, I would almost say it seems as though overnight water seeps into the combination chambers and almost like it hydraulics.

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Damn was hoping you weren't gonna say that, guess I better get my mechanic to have a look at my head too then, might just do a full rebuild.

Cheers

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
If your head is cracked why not just get a new head?

A conversion is going to cost you a lot more to do, then run and register / insure.

Even a new zd30 will be cheaper..

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Also fit an egt and boost gauge so you can prevent it happening again..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts