Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Strange problem last weekend

986 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  nethergate 
#1 ·
Went to the state forest with mate last weekend for a camping trip, did a lot of hill climbing etc. The old patrol worked just fine until I ran over a log on the track and the truck bounced twice and the engine stopped. I could restart it easy but it wouldn’t hold the idle and engine stopped quickly. I tried a couple of times in half an hour and got the same result.

I used the small knob (sorry I don’t know the name for it, manual choke?) to keep the rev at about 1000 manually and it drive fine and smoothly so I could drive home. After I got home, I found the car could idle again like nothing has ever happen.

I’m a bit concern as the problem just come and go, I couldn’t reproduce it and do know what cause it. And I have no idea if it would happen again. Anyone has any suggestion about what happen to it? It’s a 1989 TB42 automatic LWB, carby model.

Thanks

#2 ·
if you where at a high altertude like around 1000m the answer is the carby have had that issue on one of my carbies and a mates and yes it happend the same way fine one weekend then next time was good for a while then had same issues untill i put a weber carby on it then had no other issues.

#5 ·
possibly **** from bouncing the car lodged in the carby so wouldn't idle and then by the time u drove home it cleaned itself out. i use to always take a bottle of carby clean with me for when **** like that happened. usually the fix of the problem, good old carby clean

#6 ·
i thought gq's were all fuel injected not carbys but i could be wrong, or is that just the diesels? as for your problem, the girlfriends riceburner just did the same, lasted an hour and i cant get it to do it again, im gonna be changing the fuel filter and checking the tank for crap.

#8 ·
Is it on gas? Your gas mixer adaptor may have snapped causing a massive air leak, but it has now settled back into place. Mine did this after jumping a wash away. I ended up making a nicely flowed adaptor myself at work :)

Oh and their are that many carby TB42's around it's not funny. I would say their are more carby than injected TB42's by a long shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.