Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make myself a roof rack setup for the shorty with interchangeable cage & racks, and just want to check how people with a rack setup have it connected to the canopy.

My idea was to have four plates on the canopy, at either corner, which the rack/cage can be locked into, and with with swivel D-loops on each one so that a tarp can be hooked up easily, and then have either something that can clip over the guttering or another pair of plates bolted to the roof at the front.

If I can get away with the plates alone (I'd say about 200x75mm footprint, give or take a bit) that'd be great, though if I have to make some bracing inside the canopy that's no biggie either.

Cheers!

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
The roof racks I have seen on the shortys usually attach to the mounting points for the spare wheel carrier on each of the corners and then to the gutter rails of the cab.

Not sure how long a load bearing setup on the actual canopy would last. Probably need to be braced to the body internally, as you mentioned, so might as well go the external setup.

I certainly wouldn't be fixing to the canopy.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Makes sense. Ahh well, I'll have a look when it's light to nut out how much room I've got to play with to make internal bracing, otherwise I'll have to think about mounting the rear part via the back bumper.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
...I'll have to think about mounting the rear part via the back bumper...
Don't you have the pre-drilled mounts for the spare wheel carrier on the rear quarter panels?

Look closely at this setup, not MK, but I reckon you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think I do, I'll have a squizz in the morning.
Current wheel carrier is attached to the rear bumper.

·
Registered
nissan MQ
185 Posts
My MQ came with a custom made roof rack that was full length on the shorty. So the load was shared between the metal roof of the cab and the fibreglass canopy. The front two mounts were the regular gutter mount clamps.

The back section was attached to the canopy by sitting flush on top of two of the ridges, one ridge in from the sides. There was a long strip of aluminium backing plate sitting under the canopy for each side with three bolt holes - one at each end and one in the middle to clamp the rack to the canopy and the load being spread along the lenght of the two ridges.

I must admit I never loaded it right up myself, but the previous owner who had the car for about 15 years said it was strong enough to take a pretty big load of firewood on at least one occasion.

With the rack going over the cabin you can always put the heavy stuff up the front end if there is any doubt.

I took it off until I really need to load a lot for a long tip somewhere, but since I travel alone the inside space is enough for one person, especially since I have removed the back seat. Even have a bed set up in the shorty, and can carrry two spare wheels inside the cab.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh, DiscoMuzz, you edited that photo in just after I made my post and nicked off, terrible timing! :p

Anyway, I don't have any predrilled holes, and even if I did I must admit that I don't yet have the skills to make as neat a job as the one in that photo. Yet! :p

Interesting to know that the canopy was able to take a load of firewood millsy, very interesting indeed!
I reckon I'll go for the internal bracing option, just to be on the safe side.

I'll definitely agree on the space being plenty inside for one, but as a keen looter, a roof rack would be handy for those times I find something which can't fit in the back. And not to mention the double swag the the missus and I invested in recently is freakin' massive!
Mind you, I did fit in 5 31" tyres the other night, and there was space for a sixth if my mate had had that many... :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
They're not that neat frankly.
Connecting body and frame through basket is bad idea. They're moving one against each other.
That's why I've attached basket in that way.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
They're not that neat frankly.
Connecting body and frame through basket is bad idea. They're moving one against each other.
That's why I've attached basket in that way.
So, the beast in the photo is yours?

Hope you don't mind me using it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's okay, it's even flatters me. 8)

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
... you edited that photo in just after I made my post and nicked off, terrible timing! :p...
Sorry about that.

Anyway, surely you have come to the conclusion that internal bracing through the canopy is a BAD thing.

From Frankston to Perth to Adelaide to Moscow to the Netherlands people are screaming NNoooo!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
All this love for the roof rack !!!

Ive a SWB canopy here that has a cut down wagon type roof rack
Tie rail alway around with the 4 or 5 steel tracks screwed to the roof,between the tie rail
I wouldnt has a guess what its for or what it would hold if much
A nice ,(probably impractacle)looking roof rack really
For bracing fibreglass most just use 1"X1" RHS fixed then fibreglass over . to existing fibreglass
This would be done from under the roof of course

1 - 13 of 13 Posts