Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I stripped one of the gearbox crossmember threads in the chassis of my GQ (bloody fine threads on these Patrols!!).
What is the best way of repairing this? I thought about Helicoil, but I wanted to know if there is another or easier way to fix this issue.
The thread seems to be M12x1. I tried re-threading a nut with M12x1.5 to see if this would work, but it just looks a bit dodgy.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,429 Posts
Helicoil or grind the stripped nut off & put new bolt & nut on with anti seize for next time & weld new nut to crossmember mount

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
If it's one of the ones where you can reach the captive but inside chassis then just drill it out to 12mm and use an 8.8 M12 nut and bolt.

If it's one of the others either helicoil or drill bigger and tap to M14 and use an M14 bolt.

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
They are M12 x 1.25 threads. I just used a tap to clean them all up and use plenty of anti-seize, never had any worries.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses
Hi Leethal, it is the one you can't reach (Murphy's law, I guess).
I'll see how I go with re-tapping the thread.

Cheers
Joachim

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
retap or helicoil would be what i would do. if you can tap from the top would work better. as there should be clean thread on that side. cannot remember if you can get to them all from the top though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts