Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while back I installed some coil spacers because the coils were sagging after 160,000km. Just a temporary measure until I can get a new suspension setup. Anyway, today while poking around under the Patrol, changing the diff oil, I notice the coils look like the top two or three coils are all sitting against eachother. What's going on here? Or is it normal? Pic below.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd say that's just a sign the coils are pretty stuffed and why you've had some sagging. Either that or they are just not heavy duty enough for the weight of the car. Do you have many accessories like rear bar, fridge, drawers etc.?

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No weight on board and that is with almost an empty tank of fuel. Must be just worn out coils. It sees need 25mm of spacing. I guess I'll look at a suspension package sooner than I thought.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Yes they look like factory coils with a bit of weight on board.
Yes that what I thought too. Factory coils often have that tube of grey plastisc around the first or second coil to stop the clunk noise as they touch.

They also look to be a progressive load coil with the first three coils made to be softer ride by winding them closer together then the rest further appart to cary more load.

A constant load spring will be less likely to sag, but although it will be better carrying a load all the time, but then it is a little more hard ride when the back is empty. So you need to think carefully about what load you will carry for most of the time as well as when loaded to help decide on the springs you need.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looking at ordering some King Springs to replace these tires old stockers. Browsing through the catalogue I see that there are a few choices and I'm not sure which one will be right. I probably only need standard duty coils for now as my only accessory is an alloy bullbar. Although eventually is like to add a winch and full length roof rack.

So should I stick with standard duty or go for the heavy duty coils?
If I stick with standard duty how do I decide between the linear rate springs and the progressive rate "comfort" springs?

Edit: I rang both King Springs and Dobinsons to ask about the right shocks for my application. Both suggested standard duty would be fine. The recommendations are as follows:

Kings KDFR-42 front free height 390/405
KDRR-45 rear free height 460/490

Dobinsons C45-130 front free height 430
C45-103 rear free height 470

How come Kings have two numbers for the free height?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts