Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As a matter of practice I endeavour to ensure I have some fuel in the sub tank of the 3.0ltre, on a day to day basis. Every now an again I will press the magic button and activate transfer into the main. It's not because I'm heading bush, but as maintenance precaution to ensure any perishable components don't dry out or seize.
Every now and again I notice the gauge on the sub tank drops - without activating the 'sub tank' transfer button.
Is there a way the vehicle can do this by it's self, or am I really getting that old and senile?

Cheers
Guido

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
Apparently there is an auto system that transfers a small amount of fuel each time the engine is started. I assume that is so you do not end up with a full sub tank of stale fuel if not used for 6 months..........enventually it will drop and you will need to top up with fresh fuel.
Cheers
Anthony

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Absolutely right Anthony416, every time u start the engine the sub tank pump runs for a short period of time to do exactly what you are doing with your maintenance precaution guido.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
^^ what they said.

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
Hehe, I only drive in the city and and I always transfer all the fuel over as soon as I can just to reduce the amount of times I have to pull over to fill up.

·
Registered
Nissan
526 Posts
If its a ute the fuel will often drain by itself overnight to equalise the tanks. A slow process but I notice frequently that if the main tank is low, then the following morning the sub tank is showing a loss of about 20%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts