Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to you all,

Have a time old problem and looking for some advice.

Sub tank light is staying on and so is the Battery light can any one enlighten (pardon the pun) me on this problem

Cheers

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
check your earths , fit another earth strap between the battery and chassie , and finally disconnect your battery overnite

or you may have a dud alt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mrs took it to work this morning and said the lights came on when she left work to come home.

Had the sub tank light come on before and replaced earth leads and ran an extra one and had no problems since then. Wife said the lights didn't dim at all on the way home from work.?????

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
check your voltage with it running , lights all on fan etc and again with motor off , just to see if the alt is charging

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They stay on all the time.

battery with lights on engine running and aircon on is 12.04

with lights off 12.25

after turning engine off 12.47

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
im thinking your alt is snafoo , that voltage seems/ is way too low

you may me lucky though and it might just be a fuse or fuseable link , even a bad connection on the rear of the alt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im thinking your right nutty will check connections and links tomorrow. don't know where there is a cheap alt mate?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
yeah i agree with IAFNAN, my father in laws Pooootrolll(QU) was doing the same but the lights were kinda dull and would flicker some times.... after him waisting his time putting on more earth straps and looking on the net, i put a multimeter on the alt while it was running. i waited for ages and then he told me the lights were back on, i looked at the meter and it was jumping around everywhere. 15.4 down to 12.6 or something like that. new altinator, problem gone :)

i think your problem is a bit different but is being caused by low charge

maybe

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Im thinking your right nutty will check connections and links tomorrow. don't know where there is a cheap alt mate?
im pretty sure there is one that is cheaper than the factory unit , it has a fixed pulley on the front where the factory one has some sort of clutch system which tends to play up from time to time ( which is another thing you could look at ), and have heard on here they sell from around 3- 400 bucks , as to where from im not sure sorry

found this
http://www.onlineautoelectrics.com.au/Nissan-c-260/

there is also a few on ebay

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Hi to you all,

Sub tank light is staying on and so is the Battery light can any one enlighten (pardon the pun) me on this problem

Cheers
Def sounds like a dodgy Alternator... esp if it can't get above 12.8 to charge.

P.S. Why the kitchy writing, saving pixels? :p

·
Registered
Nissan
34 Posts
Hi to you all,

Cheers
I did have the exact same problem about 3 months ago, lights came on one day and stayed on for a few days, got the RAA to have a look and they suspected a bad alternator, replaced it new one from Nationwide Radiators, since then problem gone. They have an listing on ebay, username is autoelectrical&coolingparts, but is for a non-clutch pulley, I gave them a call and ordered clutch pulley type, 2 days later arrived at my door. $470 inc. shipping from VIC to SA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts