Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Patrol GU Y61
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: 2008, Nissan Patrol Safari GU Y61

Hi All, so recently car battery drained out while on drive. It was the alternator so changed it out. But now I have a new issue.

When the key is on accessories I have a Sub Tank light in the dash. It comes on for a brief moment and turns off like it should. Now, when I need to transfer the fuel from sub to main I have to press a push button. This causes the dash Sub Tank light to come on and the fuel transfer begins. Since the recent alternator work, the dash Sub Tank light doesn't turn on when the button is pressed. But there's a light on the button that turns on and the fuel transfers to the main tank as well. But why doesn't the dash light come on?

thanks
Ecronic

2008 Nissan Patrol Y61 GU TB48

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am also interested in what the forum has to say about this too. "Shakes fist at auto electricians around the world... shakes head at Nissan at the same time"

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,951 Posts
Vehicle: 2008, Nissan Patrol Safari GU Y61

Hi All, so recently car battery drained out while on drive. It was the alternator so changed it out. But now I have a new issue.

When the key is on accessories I have a Sub Tank light in the dash. It comes on for a brief moment and turns off like it should. Now, when I need to transfer the fuel from sub to main I have to press a push button. This causes the dash Sub Tank light to come on and the fuel transfer begins. Since the recent alternator work, the dash Sub Tank light doesn't turn on when the button is pressed. But there's a light on the button that turns on and the fuel transfers to the main tank as well. But why doesn't the dash light come on?

thanks
Ecronic

There is a small control box for the subtank, many years ago I had a similar issue, what I did was disconnect battery, have a cup of coffee and reconnect, this reset the system. Costs nothing so worth a try, worked for me.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a small control box for the subtank, many years ago I had a similar issue, what I did was disconnect battery, have a cup of coffee and reconnect, this reset the system. Costs nothing so worth a try, worked for me.
My 2 cents worth.
I'll give it a shot. So, disconnect the negative or positive terminal or both?

thanks
Ecronic

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,951 Posts
I'll give it a shot. So, disconnect the negative or positive terminal or both?

thanks
Ecronic

Do both, take negative off first then positive, when you reconnect do positive first then negative. Hopefully you will be lucky, as said, free and worked for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As above remove the negative lead for an hour or so, fit a second earth lead from body to chassis.....(it's well known the factory earths are crap)
Do you reckon a "Big 3" upgrade? I don't have any additional accessories though. But I do have an unusual cold start. It's long but once the car is warmed up it's starts up immediately.

thanks
Ecronic

·
Registered
2013 GU Patrol Wagon ZD30 Auto
63 Posts
My sub tank dash light never worked since I got the car, I don’t even know when it’s supposed to come on. The button and pump work, but not the light. Not a big deal though I guess, never really bothered me. I definitely disconnected the battery many times, so doing that doesn’t help.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The light on the dash should come on when ignition is turned on, then go out when car is started (same as most dash lights)......the light on the button should come on when you press the button to transfer fuel to main tank - the pump will only transfer fuel if the main tank is around 1/2 full or less - also, you need to have enough fuel in sub tank to transfer otherwise it won't work.....button/pump will turn off automatically when finished transferring fuel.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Do you reckon a "Big 3" upgrade? I don't have any additional accessories though. But I do have an unusual cold start. It's long but once the car is warmed up it's starts up immediately.

thanks
Ecronic

I took the factory earth lead off and threw it in the bin...replaced it with a thicker double earth lead - one went from battery to engine block - the other from battery to body........also put one under rear near sub tank from body to chassis (there are threads about this if you use search) never had any more electrical issues.....Doesn't really matter how many accessories, the factory earth isn't good enough for a standard car with no accessories !......The cold start might be your glow plugs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the factory earth lead off and threw it in the bin...replaced it with a thicker double earth lead - one went from battery to engine block - the other from battery to body........also put one under rear near sub tank from body to chassis (there are threads about this if you use search) never had any more electrical issues.....Doesn't really matter how many accessories, the factory earth isn't good enough for a standard car with no accessories !......The cold start might be your glow plugs.
Thanks for the points on the grounding. My spark plugs are as per factory spec and replaced recently - like 40k kms run on them.

thanks
Ecronic

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,951 Posts
My sub tank dash light never worked since I got the car, I don’t even know when it’s supposed to come on. The button and pump work, but not the light. Not a big deal though I guess, never really bothered me. I definitely disconnected the battery many times, so doing that doesn’t help.
Didn't work! In many cases it does :).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Battery disconnect didnt work for me either. But in saying that maybe I should be leaving it disconnected for longer then an hour... And I have to do a parasitic draw test, or maybe its time for a new battery and fresh wiring to go with it.

Firstly earth lead upgrades and additions, Here I Come.
Sub Tank light is the least of my worries, power mirrors, horn, cig lighter and Air Lockers (piggy backed off cig lighter) havent been working for a few months.
But in saying that Ive got 1/2 Milliion Kms on the clock, so I think its time for a well needed disconnect, update of additional accessory wiring and a really good clean underbody and in eng-bay.
Bet I stuff more things then I fix.

Thanks for the tips, Ill let you know how I go. 🤞

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just replaced my alternator, low and behold, my sub tank light is gone now after trying everything stated by others...
My Sub tank light was on well, and long before the other obvious alternator dash lights popped up. (Handbrake, battery, at temp)

Couldve been a connection problem in my truck or it could be a very early warning sign your alternator is throwing in the towel.

Thats just my two cents worth anyway...
Doesn't hurt to test the alternator output and double check connections etc. I think my alternator has been dying for 6 months to be honest. 🙄

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,951 Posts
I just replaced my alternator, low and behold, my sub tank light is gone now after trying everything stated by others...
My Sub tank light was on well, and long before the other obvious alternator dash lights popped up. (Handbrake, battery, at temp)

Couldve been a connection problem in my truck or it could be a very early warning sign your alternator is throwing in the towel.

Doesn't hurt to test the alternator output and double check connections etc. I think my alternator has been dying for 6 months to be honest. 🙄
That is weird, never come across that, interesting. After chasing a flickering EGT gauge for months, I've minimised the issue through playing with earths, Patrol electronics are a world unto their own sometimes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also no more limp mode happening uphills. Wow alternator curing everything except cooling system questions...

I wish I'd done the diesel mechanical apprenticeship when I had the chance. My cousin owns a diesel garage in Rocky. Never too late I know... but gave half my working life to the city council.
And don't have the confidence in her to drive her up there from brisbane for him to work his magic.

I love this rig. It's obvious the previous owner, a good freind, cut corners as far as I can tell. Especially on electrical cleanliness in the engine bay. Slowly working through that. He probably knew what was wrong here and there and how to fix for short term... now passed away, so I'm on my own in a world of my own.

I don't wanna give up, but I don't dollar's to burn these days.

If only this was all happening 10 years ago I'd probably be sorted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Although ten years ago she would've had 200k less on the clock.
At 410,000kms and majority of the vehicle in very good condition I'm not one to send it to the grave just yet.
Sigh

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,951 Posts

I mentioned somewhere else that it was this post that got me thinking differently about a flickering EGT gauge I had been having issues with

1 - 19 of 19 Posts