Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 2014 Y61 Titanium 3Lt Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas

Just wanted to confirm how I think the sub tank operates on my new Patrol....

Fuel gets low in main tank, I press the sub tank switch which lights up and fuels starts transferring to the main tank.

When I turn the engine off dand turn it back on the sub tank switch has gone off and has to be pushed again to turn it on.

I understand that after starting the process, the fuel is then gravity fed so if I turn the engine off and the sub tank light goes out, does the fuel continue to transfer?

Also, it says in the manual to stop the process (presumably whilst driving) simply press the sub tank switch again. If it is a gravity fed system, won't it continue to drain until the sub tank is empty irrespective of pushing the switch a second time?

Thanks

Toucan

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
It is working as it should be mate. It isn't a gravity feed from the sub to the main. There is a pump which transfers the fuel from the sub to the main, all be it slow, so it will stop pumping when the ignition is off.

All is well

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 2014 Y61 Titanium 3Lt Wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Franky73. Appreciate response.

toucan

·
Registered
Nissan
25 Posts
It took me a few trials to work it out, but that's how it works. I figure on 200kms out of the sub to give me a safety margin.

·
Registered
892 Posts
One More trick is that a small amount of fuel is transfered every start up, no light or anything
Not really sure why, probabaly to keep pump lubricated and check operation. I assume it would raise an alert and you wouldnt be caught out with sub not being able to be used.
If you dont use the sub tank for a while, it will firstly slowly empty and also pump can run dry damaging it. Controller should stop it but must not always work.
they are $$$$$ to replace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts