Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing a long range tank ( sub tank replacement ). Im wanting to know what controls when the transfer pump turns off. Does the fuel sender send a signal when its empty to turn off, or does the pump have a sensor that detects that no fuel is flowing??
Cause if its the fuel sender I'll make sure it swings down as far as it can. And what the f### is that plastic cylinder in the bottom of the tank for?, its not connected to anything!
Also does anybody know how the roll over valve work?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If possible can you please post a photo of the plastic thing in the tank that is not connected to anything

I have read about them in othe threads and no one seems to know its function but it must be there for a reason

I am interested in knowing what it does as well

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx Don, that makes sense. I have a Haynes manual and it has nothing about the operation, just how to remove and reinstall.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don, heres a pic of the item. It sits on the bottom of the tank in rectangular plastic tray. The item is about 5-6" long.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
My understanding was the Sub Tank is generic and in a few different Nissan vehicles and the Mystery Cylinder is the housing for a Fuel Lift Pump which isn't fitted as Nissan opted for a transfer pump system in the Patrols instead.

Been wrong before tho and will be wrong another coupla thousand times before I die :p

Could easily be a Dilithium Powered Coriolis Effect Reversal Compensator to reverse the fuel swirl direction because we are in the southern hemisphere and Japan is in the northern one, maybe need to email Nissan if anyone is losing sleep over it :p

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
In the photo it looks like the cylinder splits in half (it looks like it clips together)

Have you tried seperating the two halves to see what is inside

Regards Don

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
this same cylinder houses a fuel pump in the petrol models i believe

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Someone on a earlier thread said it was heavy so it must have something substantial inside and not just a empty cylinder

Any takers to open one up ?? as people have said when they replaced the standard tank with a long range tank they have left it out

Regards Don

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
id say it is a dummie weight to compensate for no fuel pump

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It seems strange that they would manufacture (if it is a dummy weight) & fit something to do nothing

Regards Don

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
yes it is stupid really unless it is actually a fuel pump because the sub tanks r the same right through i never pulled 1 apart

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I just checked the part number for a sub tank on mine 1/05 td42ti and the part number for the same model with tb48de and the numbers are different

Also in the listing for mine it lists it as a pump but it is a different part number to the pump on the tb48de version

Regards Don

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
they may super sede not sure i havent been with a nissan dealer since 05 obviously not connected so not gunna do anything ay

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got tank in, just gotta monitor how much fuel I get into it, I may have to remove sender and adjust arm to increase usable capacity.
No one still knows what that cylinder thing is????. Ive got a spare one now, if anyones goes faulty, you can have it for free.:) Gotta a spare sub tank too, if anyones interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts