Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question as its the first gq i have owned but how does the sub tank operate as mine is empty even though the main tank is full and where the hell is the switch or does it do it automatically????Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Dunno , don't think I've got one, filling the main costs enough :),
cheers Greg

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Dunno , don't think I've got one, filling the main costs enough :),
cheers Greg
Awesomely useless reply.

We really need some info on your install, as well as you need to have a good look under the car yourself, you should be able to trace it all out. GQ's never came with a sub tank from factory, so it could be any number of different brands, as well as who knows how the install was done.

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
mine is just a switch on the dash u flick it, i thought it might pump into the main tank, but it seems to suck from second tank just like the original does, and when u flick it back to the other tank when empty it goes down to E or watever it sat on b4 u changed it over. So i have no ide how it works lol it just does :)

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
i have no idea of aftermarket installs but factory toyotas and i think nissans use like a liquid solenoid so when you swap from one to the other it just swappes the pickup from one tank to the other.
does it have dual fillers or a second gauge or anything like that.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No extra gauges or the like just an empty tank underneath and when i fill the main tank there is only one filler hole?????Very strange...i might take a pic and post it up but don't laugh if i am totally wrong about it being a reserve tank as i am very new to all this(drove a commodore before i saw the light lol).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Have a good look, a photo prob won't do it for us. In your engine bay, find your fuel filter. Follow that line back across the engine bay, down under the car, along the chassis rain, and up to the tank at the back. Does it split in 2 at all? Can you see any obvious lines going between the sub tank and the main tank? The best way to learn your car is to get under there and have a look, get your hands dirty (ok maybe wear some latex gloves :) ) following lines by feel, then when you are out bush and something happens, you will know what is under there from experience!

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
if its a subtank there must be a random switch somewhere in the dash. and its possible that it uses the main gauge for the subtank but the switch has to be switched over so to speak. either that or there is only one tank.
is it possible the tank has been put in but never hooked up?
sounds silly but possible.

·
Registered
88 Posts
mine has a 3 way switch next to the antenna up/down switch. It's actually got a gas symbol on it. Top setting is for sub tank level(still uses original fuel guage), middle setting is for main tank level and the bottom setting starts the transfer pump to transfer fuel from sub to main tank. Mine only runs off the main tank. Hope this is of some help.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
question carzyman, where is the sub tank located in your vehicle???? have you had a look underneath,or just assumed it had one?? and if it has one what are the measurements,- so you know the volume. My old MQ had a filler on the left side for its reserve tank, and some tanks used a Y pipe in the main filler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts