Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a sub tank on my 2003 Patrol td42 it's full I press the sub tank button but don't see the fuel transfering does the main tank need to show low light 1st?

Tony

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
As Lorn john said

Sub tank wont tranfer when :

Main is full and atleast has to drop the first quarter
It will transfer a very small amount when engine is started with same caveats above
You can see it transfer over if you start engine and quickly go to the filler cap

While transferring . It will stop if incline or decline is too great or road is too bumpy

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
It doesn't need to be low or have the low light on to transfer. If yours is not transferring then there is a problem somewhere.
Does the green light come on and stay on when you hit the button. Also is the sub tank warning in the dash off because if it is on then there is a fault and won't transfer.

It is a slow transfer so you won't see it quickly on the gauges and it's quiet so you will only hear from underneath or near the filler for the main. It dumps back into the main filler neck.

If the warning is on then try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

·
___BTDT___
42,195 Posts
My main tank is almost empty ( no low light yet )
So your saying when light appears can transferr fuel?
I will assume yours is the same or very similar to my ZD30, the pump activates for several seconds every time you start the vehicle (this is why if you don't top up the sub when you do your fuel calcs you have a built in error), BTW in 19 years I have never noticed the transfer light come on when I'm starting the vehicle. You can manually transfer fuel anytime you like, if the tank is to full the transfer just won't happen until the level drops to an acceptable level, again in 19 years of owning mine I've never come across the exact level a transfer will happen at but I can tell you on mine it is before 1/4 is reached.

Best way to check if transfer is working is to get under and listen or put your hand on the transfer pump and get someone to start the vehicle, I'm deaf so I need to put my hand on it to feel it start and stop.

A full transfer on mine takes around 20 minutes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will have to see if it works if it is slow like your saying I won't noticed just had it on do a a few minutes then I was at work , will try this arvo .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok driving home from work the main tank light came on I preshed the switch still nothing is if slow to transfer only drive 15 min from work..
Ps I don't see any sub tank light.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The sub tank button you press do you see a light on it? Like when you press the rear demister button it has a light that comes on the button itself?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
also go to the filler cap and check whil engine is on and you pressed the button. You should see fuel come from top to bottom

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sounds like your button could be faulty?
Open up your filler cap and check to see if fuel transfers across when button is pressed

·
___BTDT___
42,195 Posts

·
___BTDT___
42,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If his button doesnt work. Could it just be that switch or does it hook up to some fuse or relay?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Without checking a wiring diagram I expect the switch wiring goes straight to the controller which would actually handle the switching.

I'd be looking for the sub tank/pump fuse first then the switch and it's wiring first if the dash warning light is not on. Unless that light is removed or blown.

Quick test too could be to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if it resets (assuming the warning light is not working).

Assuming we have actually turned the transfer on and then gone to the tank and/or pump to see if anything is happening and it's not just the switch light that is out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys I will explain what I have to e so far...
There is no light on sub tank switch that I can see.
Do I need to run the engine to check the fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
9 Participants
trimixdiver
Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum
Patrol 4x4 is the best Nissan Patrol forum to discuss the SUV’s specs, parts, accessories, reviews, problems and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing