• HLF they are making a fortune out of me :(

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How much Diesel can you fit in your bog standard (including electrical control of pump) Sub Tank according to the Servo Fuel Pump. The capacity of a diesel of all models is 95L main and 30/32L Sub Tank, (petrol's have bigger Subs and the 4.8 may be even larger, I don't know, also I'm not sure if some diesel utes had a different tank, someone may be able to clear that up) we hear stories of people fitting 35L into their std subs. My experience has been if I fill to the filler neck I fit in 30-32L 33L is the most I've ever fitted. How much can you fit in yours?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just over 30 most of the time - 32ish once

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
You beat me, you got in before I finished the poll question :) now you need to vote......

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Do I have to ask what HLF stands for bud?:shock: Is it along the lines of FFS? and FML?

We will see what mine takes this Thursday, but it has been 35 litres, and this is to the point where one more drop would see it spilling out of the cap threads on the filler neck.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Remember guys this is according to the pump. If your Sub is completely drained how can you fit anymore in the next time? Is there a plausible reason? I don't know. I would be interested in the difference the same people were getting using different pumps. I don't believe pumps are accurate and we all pay for it.

Great poll. I reckon this could open quite a few peoples eyes.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do I have to ask what HLF stands for bud?:shock: Is it along the lines of FFS? and FML?

We will see what mine takes this Thursday, but it has been 35 litres, and this is to the point where one more drop would see it spilling out of the cap threads on the filler neck.
It's the name of the Korean Pilot that crash landed in the US, Ho Lee Fuk.

To keep my ongoing fuel tracking accurate I do the same, I only ever fill and then to the brim.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Just as a heads-up, overfilled diesel tanks are a bit of an issue for motorcycle riders... diesel spills on roads don't evaporate like petrol spills, they leave a residue that bikes slip on, and usually the spill happens as a truck/4wd negotiates a few tight-ish bends, like roundabouts.

When the pump clicks off, leave it at that.

Mine took 31 litres on average. I emptied the sub every payday (just a randomly chosen trigger that encouraged me to keep the fuel turning over week to week).

Reactions: catdog81

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine has never leaked in 14 years and as said I fill it to the brim, it would make a mess and I would notice immediately :). Although I appreciate some makes may leak.

I do the same and transfer across to the main before filling just to keep the rotation going.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Remember guys this is according to the pump. If your Sub is completely drained how can you fit anymore in the next time? Is there a plausible reason? I don't know. I would be interested in the difference the same people were getting using different pumps. I don't believe pumps are accurate and we all pay for it.

Because the shi tty Nissan system can never tell when its drained. Thats why mine fits 39 litres every time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts

It could depend whether the forecourt is level or sloping I guess. Different stations or even different pumps at the same station could have a slight angle that allows you and extra little bit of fuel.just a thought.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts
Just as a heads-up, overfilled diesel tanks are a bit of an issue for motorcycle riders... diesel spills on roads don't evaporate like petrol spills, they leave a residue that bikes slip on, and usually the spill happens as a truck/4wd negotiates a few tight-ish bends, like roundabouts.

When the pump clicks off, leave it at that.

Mine took 31 litres on average. I emptied the sub every payday (just a randomly chosen trigger that encouraged me to keep the fuel turning over week to week).
This nearly got me on my bike and it got my mate. Round abouts are the worst. I remember when I served in the forces seeing a number of times people would leave the cap off the full unimog tank and it just flowed like an open tap onto the road.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Because the shi tty Nissan system can never tell when its drained. Thats why mine fits 39 litres every time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I thought yours might take the extra 9 litres cause you might leave your 4.2 running for the 3 mins it takes to refuel?

Don't worry, some servos don't let me refuel there due to the risk of explosion, and I'm not allowed near airports either :)

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Boom shakalaka.

Anyways here's the deal. I have what some people would say ocd. I press that sub mofo button more than 100 times on the way to the servo. When the light goes out next hill I hit that mofo until it near snaps off the dash. Down hill hit that again. The sub gauge needle is off the scale empty.My wife thinks I'm strange but meh.

So question here would be do the guys fitting only 30 to 31 only drain til the light goes out the first time? Or are there other ocd guys here? And am I damaging the transfer pump by hitting it like Brittany sings. :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts
Boom shakalaka.

Anyways here's the deal. I have what some people would say ocd. I press that sub mofo button more than 100 times on the way to the servo. When the light goes out next hill I hit that mofo until it near snaps off the dash. Down hill hit that again. The sub gauge needle is off the scale empty.My wife thinks I'm strange but meh.

So question here would be do the guys fitting only 30 to 31 only drain til the light goes out the first time? Or are there other ocd guys here? And am I damaging the transfer pump by hitting it like Brittany sings. :)
I'm not what you who'd call ocd in pressing the button but I like to make sure it's been pressed a number of times to confirm in my mind it's emptied :D. But hey who knows, the right hill might squeeze that 1 litre left in there out.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I have 2 good hills here. Macquarie pass and mt ousley. I'm working in the scrub on top of ousley at the moment.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
The amount going in will often vary depending on when you originally transferred the fuel to the main tank and how many times you started the Patrol since then.

Every time you start a Patrol (well GU at least) with a sub tank, it transfers fuel from the sub to the main tank for a few seconds. I believe this is part of the reason that Nissan changed the original GU owners manual from saying they had a 70 odd litre tank to a 35 litre tank

The tanks still hold 70 litres (or somewhere around that from memory) but the pump will cut out with 30 odd litres left so if you transfer your fuel early in the cycle you won't run the transfer pump dry (and kill it) if you start the car a few more times.

On a side note, I ran out of fuel once, only around 10 k's from a servo so I pulled over to the side of the road and kept cycling the ignition switch while listening for the pump, as the pump cut out I restarted the process. I managed to transfer enough fuel to get me to the servo......win

Anyway, this should explain the difference in readings each time you refill the sub tank.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The amount going in will often vary depending on when you originally transferred the fuel to the main tank and how many times you started the Patrol since then.

Every time you start a Patrol (well GU at least) with a sub tank, it transfers fuel from the sub to the main tank for a few seconds. I believe this is part of the reason that Nissan changed the original GU owners manual from saying they had a 70 odd litre tank to a 35 litre tank

The tanks still hold 70 litres (or somewhere around that from memory) but the pump will cut out with 30 odd litres left so if you transfer your fuel early in the cycle you won't run the transfer pump dry (and kill it) if you start the car a few more times.

On a side note, I ran out of fuel once, only around 10 k's from a servo so I pulled over to the side of the road and kept cycling the ignition switch while listening for the pump, as the pump cut out I restarted the process. I managed to transfer enough fuel to get me to the servo......win

Anyway, this should explain the difference in readings each time you refill the sub tank.
It transfers for 5 seconds from memory, that is why you need to fill the sub to get accurate Eco readings, but if you transfer all your sub into the main before filling up (which I do) then you should have consistency across the board on your fillups, you are correct though, when my sub cuts off I can restart the transfer and get a bit more out of it.

But the point is, if someone can fit 35L (as was indicated in the other thread) into a 30L tank that probably does have a Litre in the bottom, then they are being ripped off.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts