Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GU IV - ZD30Di, manual
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, thanks in advance for any help. I was made aware today that there was some oil under my car and the same happened last night too. I had a look and it's really pissing out from the top of the motor, around the intake manifold. Washed it off at a wash bay and it's coming all the way down and has blown back and painted the trans too. In the 5 or so days since I last checked the oil it's gone from the first twist above full on the dipstick (oops) to the low mark, so a lot of loss. I have the NADS stuff and my catchcan doesn't catch much oil at all compared to what comes out with the significant blowby. Where should I start for fixing it? PCV issues?
Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
Have w look at the injector seals in the rocker cover, also check the glow plug seals, clean it up and monitor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can confirm. Forgot to update here but removed ic and saw it trickling out. New seals should arrive today. Any idea what I'm in for? I've got a Haynes manual for a guide but any previous experiences would be great, cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
Can confirm. Forgot to update here but removed ic and saw it trickling out. New seals should arrive today. Any idea what I'm in for? I've got a Haynes manual for a guide but any previous experiences would be great, cheers
Download the genuine manual from the link in my signature go the XV version, GP oil seals are easy, just need a deep 12mm socket, the injector seals is much harder, you need to undo the fuel line at the injector and loosen them at the pump, mongrel job, did all my seals earlier this year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Download the genuine manual from the link in my signature go the XV version, GP oil seals are easy, just need a deep 12mm socket, the injector seals is much harder, you need to undo the fuel line at the injector and loosen them at the pump, mongrel job, did all my seals earlier this year.
No worries. Sounds like I'm in for a fun weekend. Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Degrease the motor first, so you are starting with everything clean then follow your workshop manual step by step is best advice and don't take any shortcuts as tempting as it is. Patience is key here.
Basically, IC, intake piping etc all comes off. EGR crossover pipe comes off, then EGR valve then Inlet manifold has to come off so you can get the injector lines off then the seals are easily pryed out with a flat screwdriver on either side.
I do recall being unable to get the rear oil return pipe off, so I cut the mounting plate (circled in red) at the pipe and then replaced it with a HD P Clip upon reassembly. If you do not cut it then bending the pipe excessively is the only answer and then you'll likely fracture the pipe and have another leak. Nobody could advise me otherwise at the time. This pipe was designed to go on/off easily when the motor is out. Not while in the engine bay.
When installing the new injector seals, apply a smear of RTV on inner and outer seal surfaces making sure the injector and head surface are immaculately clean. Use metho/white spirit with a clean cloth to clean both surfaces for the best final clean before installing. But do follow your manual. Cheers.
Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Electric blue Auto part
Font Parallel Triangle Circle Pattern

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Degrease the motor first, so you are starting with everything clean then follow your workshop manual step by step is best advice and don't take any shortcuts as tempting as it is. Patience is key here.
Basically, IC, intake piping etc all comes off. EGR crossover pipe comes off, then EGR valve then Inlet manifold has to come off so you can get the injector lines off then the seals are easily pryed out with a flat screwdriver on either side.
I do recall being unable to get the rear oil return pipe off, so I cut the mounting plate (circled in red) at the pipe and then replaced it with a HD P Clip upon reassembly. If you do not cut it then bending the pipe excessively is the only answer and then you'll likely fracture the pipe and have another leak. Nobody could advise me otherwise at the time. This pipe was designed to go on/off easily when the motor is out. Not while in the engine bay.
When installing the new injector seals, apply a smear of RTV on inner and outer seal surfaces making sure the injector and head surface are immaculately clean. Use metho/white spirit with a clean cloth to clean both surfaces for the best final clean before installing. But do follow your manual. Cheers.
View attachment 547649 View attachment 547650
Wicked. Thanks heaps mate

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so I've done the injector oil seals, no more leaks and job went as smoothly as I could have asked for. I've now taken it for a long drive and temp guage seems to fluctuate a but more than before I did the seals. Before, it sat around the 11 o'clock position at all times but now it creeps up to the 12:30 position under load i.e. 5th up hills. Not sure if I just didn't notice it before but I'm relatively sure it didn't do that prior. Any thoughts and ideas on the cause would be much appreciated
Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
Alright so I've done the injector oil seals, no more leaks and job went as smoothly as I could have asked for. I've now taken it for a long drive and temp guage seems to fluctuate a but more than before I did the seals. Before, it sat around the 11 o'clock position at all times but now it creeps up to the 12:30 position under load i.e. 5th up hills. Not sure if I just didn't notice it before but I'm relatively sure it didn't do that prior. Any thoughts and ideas on the cause would be much appreciated
Cheers
Rest assured seals won't have any impact. Did you disturb any wiring? Including earths?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rest assured seals won't have any impact. Did you disturb any wiring? Including earths?
Made a point not to remove earth points but there were a few plugs I had to disconnect. There was the boost sensor on the ic, the grey plug going to the injector pump, the black one that sits on the bracket next to it and a couple of others at the front upper rhs of the motor (grey, brown and black?) that I'm unsure of there function. I had a mate suggest something to do with injectors pumping in more fuel now that I've removed and bled the fuel injectors but I can't see that making a difference

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
Made a point not to remove earth points but there were a few plugs I had to disconnect. There was the boost sensor on the ic, the grey plug going to the injector pump, the black one that sits on the bracket next to it and a couple of others at the front upper rhs of the motor (grey, brown and black?) that I'm unsure of there function. I had a mate suggest something to do with injectors pumping in more fuel now that I've removed and bled the fuel injectors but I can't see that making a difference
As indicated I would seriously doubt injectors play any part. Redo the connections you spoke of and make sure they are clean. It wont hurt to undo the earth leads on the inlet manifold and clean them, one of these directly impacts on instrumentation. Rules a few things out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As indicated I would seriously doubt injectors play any part. Redo the connections you spoke of and make sure they are clean. It wont hurt to undo the earth leads on the inlet manifold and clean them, one of these directly impacts on instrumentation. Rules a few things out.
Alright will do tomorrow and update here. Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took a little longer than expected but all done. Earth points clean and plugs unplugged and refitted. Problem solved. Much appreciated geeyoutoo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts