Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq rx3
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner and I want to get away for from the 25-28th of December. I wanted to go camping (beach or bush) somewhere within an hour or so from Brisbane. Unfortunately I don't really know the options as I have been so busy with uni in the last few years that I haven't had a chance to explore any sites.

So if I could get a few recommendations based on the following criteria that would be great:
1. It has to be within an hour or so from Brisbane
2. It can't be a site that will be packed with people (I realise that may be difficult at that time of year)
3. It has to be fairly secluded and scenic
4. Nothing too demanding in terms of access as I am just running a stock GQ with no lift and road tyres.

So if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the input. I have been looking over the QLD National Parks site but there are a lot of options.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
Within 1 hour is fairly limiting. Stradbroke Island is lovely, you can find a spot that is on main beach where there is no one, or cylinder beach has a caravan park with facilities. I like Mt. Mee, there is are 2 grounds there Archer and Neurum Creek camp sites, both very small and usually deserted, short drive to waterfalls/swimming holes, nice 4x4 trails out there too. Scenic Rim 4x4 park offers camping i believe but i have never been there myself. if you were willing to travel 2 -3 hours the possibilies multiply hugely.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq rx3
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I see your point. The 1 hour limit is only a rought guide. I guess for somewhere good I wouldn't mind driving longer. It is just that I am at work on the 24th and the 29th so we wanted to minimise the time spent driving to maximise the time spent.... looking at the scenery ;)

We've been to the Mt. Mee camp sites before and they are really nice. I was hoping to try somewhere new

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
Ha Ha .... True..... i camped at a great little spot called Kilkievan, just outside Gympie, very secluded. There is a great little book that i have used in the past to get reliable info on fourby and camping related spots in SEQ, it goes by the dubious title "Dirty Weekends" and has a picture of White/Silver Paj on the front driving up a sandy track off the beach. it has maps, directions, even tripmeter pace notes. I got my copy from Angus and Robertson.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq rx3
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried tracking down a copy of that book a few months back and the places I went to were out of stock until the next edition came out.

Has anyone been to Teewah Beach camping zone in the Cooloola National Park? It is relatively close and accessible, my only concern is that it will be full of families... kids... and other assorted hazards

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
Teewah is lovely, but like freshwater and rainbow beach even on an odd weekend there are heaps of families and kids. still worth a look as you wont be in eachothers pockets if you chose the right site.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq rx3
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much did you pay for your copy of Dirty Weekends? I am tempted to order one online, but it works out to $45 with postage. I'm thinking that I might be better of tracking down a copy locally

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
There is a great little book that i have used in the past to get reliable info on fourby and camping related spots in SEQ, it goes by the dubious title "Dirty Weekends" and has a picture of White/Silver Paj on the front driving up a sandy track off the beach. it has maps, directions, even tripmeter pace notes. I got my copy from Angus and Robertson.
Try BCF. I think I have seen this book in a couple of their stores, so it seems to be readily available.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,171 Posts
I think you might struggle to get a site at the popular places over christmas now , they are usually booked out months ago but best of luck , all that have been mentioned are great spots

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq rx3
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you might struggle to get a site at the popular places over christmas now , they are usually booked out months ago but best of luck , all that have been mentioned are great spots
Yeah I know what you mean, but I only just got my work roster for that period. I'll see how I go...

·
Registered
nissan
337 Posts
Camped out on Bribie Island a year ago from December 18th to 22nd. Saw one other vehicle on the beach that whole time. Wandered through the camp sites and saw two other sites were occupied ( 3 to 4 minute walk from where we were ) If you go camping on Bribie mid week you will have the whole place to yourself.

Give them a ring and check how busy they are from 25th to 28th. You might be in luck and find what you are looking for ......

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq rx3
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone always has to paste the obvious link don't they jaxt :p
I am well aware of the DERM website, I was after people's opinions on which of those matched my criteria.

Thanks for the info anyway fellas. I'll do the call around next week when I have time. I'm not holding my breath though....

·
Registered
nissan st 08
656 Posts
The new copy of "Dirty Weekends" is available for order off the net. Got my copy for fathers day.

Dirty Weekends Try that link buddy. I think it might even be at the shops now.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq rx3
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
T0nka cheers for the idea. I just got one off ebay for $25 delivered

1 - 20 of 20 Posts