Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Does any one out there know the torque specks in NM for the bolts on an oil pan for the Tb42? Also any tips or tricks on replacing the gasket??
Thanks heaps.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
No need to torque them up, just a firm nip up with hand is more than sufficient.

The best tip I can give is use a wire wheel to clean up the sump mating face and a blade to clean up the block.

Also ensure the sump is dead flat again if you have to use a pry bar or anything to get it off.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
No need to torque them up, just a firm nip up with hand is more than sufficient.

The best tip I can give is use a wire wheel to clean up the sump mating face and a blade to clean up the block.

Also ensure the sump is dead flat again if you have to use a pry bar or anything to get it off.
X2 on the nip up. Do it up too tight and you could be in a world of pain. Just check it and nip it up if it is still weeping. A lot easier than stripping it.

Diesel what block are you cleaning with the blade?

As for the gasket. I assume you mean the sump plug washer. It depends on the type yours has. There are generally two. A crushable washer that should be replaced each time or a solid copper washer like mine that I anneal with the missuses kitchen butane torch after an oil change.

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Na Frankie by the gasket for the oil pan I mean the gasket for the oil pan. I know about the finger tight then quarter turn for the sump bolt. Just wondering if there was a correct torque specks for the forty odd bolts lol.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The specs for 4.2td sump bolts is only 7-9Nm, so that's probably why 'DieselTuner' is saying to just nip them up by hand.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Na Frankie by the gasket for the oil pan I mean the gasket for the oil pan. I know about the finger tight then quarter turn for the sump bolt. Just wondering if there was a correct torque specks for the forty odd bolts lol.
Sorry mate. Didn't read it properly. Now I know why I sucked at comprehension tasks at school. LOL:rolleyes:

·
Its a unimog thing, understand?
452 Posts
I just clean the plug, put a bit of Loctite flange sealant on it and nip it up by hand..always works and never leaks.

As for the Sump..I pretty much did the same with them..however my mechanic mate who was giving me a hand one day went over my sump and made all surfaces were square and knocked each bolt hole on the pan down a little so when you nip up the bolts the pan sits flat on all surfaces, rather that the bolt holes being proud of the pan and only the holes having any real mating surface/pressure on them.

Hope you get what I mean..hard to explain it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts