Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My father in law had an 03 ZD30. He says when he just changed oil there was MORE in the sump than when he first filled it.

Now I remember reading somewhere on here that for some reason Nissan has put the return line from the IP inside the rocker cover or something, is that correct? So I'm assuming this is leaking inside the rocker cover section?

I recall reading a mod to reroute it, now I've searched overfilled sump, fuel leak in engine, all sorts but I can't remember the name of the part to search for.

If someone can just give me the name (it's on the tip of my tongue...) I'll search for that and I'm sure all will be revealed. I haven't seen his car to have a look yet either, hopefully it can easily be seen what's going on?

Thanks in advance, I remember reading it here and thinking that was useful to know, and I looked through all the first post stickies and nothing rung a bell.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind, FOUND IT!

Spill line is the word I was looking for... I'll have a good read of that.

Delete this thread mods if you like its pointless now... Thankyou :)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Will be interesting to know what's happening.

·
Registered
507 Posts
He may have a leaking injector.
One of the injectors leak when the motor is stopped and pools on top of the piston.
This fuel then makes it's way past the rings and into the sump.
Oil level then rises on the dip stick.

Only a thought.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
if its diesel in the oil i'd be surprised the turbo hasn't failed.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
He may have a leaking injector.
One of the injectors leak when the motor is stopped and pools on top of the piston.
This fuel then makes it's way past the rings and into the sump.
Oil level then rises on the dip stick.

Only a thought.
That would be accompanied by bad running/misfiring if that was the case, IP pushes fuel out at about 700 bars so when engine stops fuel is cut....so while possible the amount of fuel left in the injector is miniscule.

More likely the spill line or one of its banjo connections on the top of the injector is leaking somewhere under the rocker cover.

·
Registered
Nissan
508 Posts
I found it takes a bit to get the oil to circulate and settle. I don't even look at the dipstick after an oil/filter change, I pour in 8L and check a couple of days later when it's cold.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
That would be accompanied by bad running/misfiring if that was the case, IP pushes fuel out at about 700 bars so when engine stops fuel is cut....so while possible the amount of fuel left in the injector is miniscule.

More likely the spill line or one of its banjo connections on the top of the injector is leaking somewhere under the rocker cover.
I agree, I would suggest just bypassing it like we do when we fit a lift pump (many do anyway), for our vehicles it is unnecessary (details are in my build thread under lift pump).

Here's the layout under the rocker for him anyway, spill line top LH side.

Injector_lines.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts