Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if a 99 gu 2.8 has a sump gasket or silastic mine looks like a gasket but went to get a gasket today and auto shop said it was just silastic dont want to pull it down and than find i need a gasket thanks heaps tim:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Nissan
259 Posts
Yeah it is a gasket. Whoever told you that is in another planet.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i didnt think i was on another planet you can see the gasket where it is leaking thanks mate

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Just be carefull that it is the sump gasket leaking, sometimes if your front crank seal is leaking a bit the oil can get sucked under, and run along the sump gasket, and then it appears to be coming out past the sump gasket. I've also heard of people having a slight leak on the turbo oil return hose, and this also runs down and is drawn into the gasket to look like a gasket leak.

Also if you are considering tightening the bolts on the sump pan, be carefull because a couple of the front bolts if tightened up too much will screw into the bottom section of the plastic guard around the crank timing belt sprocket. The sump bolts aren't done up very tight at all, and I know I was tempted to nip them up probably more than I should, but in doing this, I think the gasket is deformed and doesn't do its job so well.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol gr td 6 intercooler
84 Posts
Hey
My sump leaked as it had rusted through. There was a piece of foam between the bell housing and sump pan which caused the pan to rust through. The pan had to come off to be welded, had to get a mechanic to do it and he found it pretty awkward. Am not sure what type of gasket though.

·
Registered
757 Posts
As said above i change my sump gasket thinking it was leaking but it turned out to bethe oil pump gasket leaking running down.
Its a pretty easy job to change the sump gasket though and as long as you know if its the one leaking you wont have to do the job twice like me:mad:

·
Registered
nissan
147 Posts
also another thing to check , ( this happened to me ) is if you have a catch can that it is free flowing and your pcv valve isnt full of crap, my catch can started to block up a bit causing enough crank case pressure to push oil out the front main seal and also fed enough pressure back up the turbo oil return line to force the turbos oil through the front and rear seals of the turbo!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts