Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sunny Coast Show n Shine 2015

This will now be an annual event on our QLD calendar, this one was considerably different to the last one of a few years ago as we tried to make it a more family orientated event.

The jumping castle was a significant cost but the feedback we got was that it was greatly appreciated by parents and enjoyed by the kids, so this will stay.

The questions we asked ourselves at the debrief were:

1. Was this the correct timing? we did clash with several other major events (I'm not convinced they did have a significant impact on us though, what do you think?) but our choices were limited in the time frame we set ourselves this year, we are thinking of earlier in August for next year.

2. Saturday or Sunday? I know some need to work on Saturday and there are sporting events for kids sometimes, on the other hand we had made allowances for people who traveled a long way to camp overnight which was our main reason for choosing Saturday. Which day do you think we should do it?

3. With Kids catered for what about the wives and girlfriends, is there something we can do to involve them more in the day and keep them entertained while we talk 4by's and run up flex ramps :)?
Funny I remember my first thought when I first visited the Sims was "what a great place for a Casting Competition" :), no not a suggestion for the wives and girlfriends.

4. I would like to see some of our Southern and more Northerly cousins attend so we need to fix a firm date well ahead of time, how much interest would we get from those "cousins"?.

5. Like anything we get a lot of interest initially then it drops off towards the end, for this to be a success, and by that I don't mean make money as that is not the objective, if we break even I'd be as happy as a pig in ****.

I look forward to your input.

EDIT:
NADS and Tech sessions.
More shade.
Music.
Ladies events.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
To keep the wifey's happy just have a mall next door.:p

Ive seen comps involving the ladys like...quickest wheel change, Run out the winch just a few ideas.:D

Or just have Keith Urban there on the day

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The purpose of the thread is to get input for ideas put forward in the first post and/or further suggestions to make it better and self sufficient.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Make it a Saturday, and I will organise a Glasshouse Mountains drive for the Sunday. Get 'em clean, get 'em dirty!

Music - either live, or just a sound system with some good tunes. Maybe we can make a forum mixtape based on the Songs topic :) (now that would be random)

A few more things for kids to do - cheap/free, like a badminton court and a table tennis table.

A techo clinic - we did talk about doing that, but it would have been hard to make it work this time around. Keen for having it at the next one, though. I'm thinking a 6m x 6m tarp set-up (I can supply) with a couple of Patrols nosed in at one end, camp chairs for the students, and a couple of instructors to talk the students through a few things. NADS for example - what goes in (hand the parts around the students) then get everyone around the Patrols to see it all installed.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,097 Posts
Liking Squalos ideas.
Maybe next time a few more of us could take a few pergolas (might get esty there) for extra shade. I like how deccers and QGU42 had there awnings out. Was going to do the same but didn't know how many would turn up, so didn't want to take up space. So maybe the shades at the front of cars? Depends how many turn up I spose.

The jumping castle was a great idea btw. I hardly saw any kids all day, so they must have been amused. I think it allowed the parents to stand around talking without worrying about the kids for awhile. I did like sims idea of the adult jumping castle also. ( hows your public liability mate :) )

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guy's, Yes good ideas, some we did speak of earlier but being our first on this format there were many unknowns, I took along a JayCar unit and some other NADS gear to explain to anyone who'd listen but there was just too much going on to concentrate on it (I am attending a specific NADS session in SA in a few weeks so it will be good bring some ideas back), we were rotating around the gate as well and this ate into our time.

We knew in the beginning that we would need over 40 entrants to break even, we got 27 from memory, we know we can accommodate 60 fairly easily but if we had a whole heap of awnings this would cut down on available room so we need to look at that carefully.

* So ultimately we would need to plan around a few more volunteers to free up various people for other duties and also stricter time frames for events etc.

Keep your ideas coming.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
More shade would be a good idea. My kids got sunburnt on the day. (Not that they care) The rest of the kids probably did too.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,097 Posts
More shade would be a good idea. My kids got sunburnt on the day. (Not that they care) The rest of the kids probably did too.
I came home with a nice tan line from my thongs. Better than the last show and shine though where I came home with third degree burns.

I think around this time of year or a bit earlier was good. Normally pretty mild weather and sunny days.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I came home with a nice tan line from my thongs. Better than the last show and shine though where I came home with third degree burns.

I think around this time of year or a bit earlier was good. Normally pretty mild weather and sunny days.
Agree, we are looking at earlier in August next year to get away from things like the Muster etc, so it's not that hot, but it will be taken into consideration, I came home with a bit of a glow on the upper arms but that's all.

·
Registered
399 Posts
hello members

some good thoughts there but ask your wife or girl friend what they would like to see at a show and shine for them. yes shade is a big thing so will look at this and try and fix it, also looking at putting in shower and toilet shed in and make some more room in the yard this year. I would like to have a wet tee shirt com but the wife said I look no good in a wet tee shirt....lol. keep the comments up

your host.......sim.......:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts