Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i not very experience at welding, and last time i did it was on a stick welder.
so all you welder types out there- for a newbie starting out on small jobs,
would this deal suit me?
is there anything special i should know about mig's?
thnx in advance
kez

Super Cheap Auto Catalogues

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
100 amp is very light duty,a 145 amp is better suited to welding repairs and light fab work.i had a sc 145 amp and was fine for welding barwork,built a tandem trailer,and other light duty jobs.gasless is good for welding gal and outside in a breeze,welding with a shield gas will generally give better penetration and stronger welds

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
I was looking at the same setup.

I've arc welded a few things, but never mig welded before.

Want to weld up some ali roof racks for the GQ.

Would you need to purchase a gas cylinder and regulator?

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Looking at the price, I'd say it would be a terrible machine to learn on. 100 amps won't do much above 3mm mild steel either. I doubt it would hold a stable arc.

But its a risk free price considering a decent machine is a fair jump in price.

What do you want to weld?

·
Registered
nissan
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the price, I'd say it would be a terrible machine to learn on. 100 amps won't do much above 3mm mild steel either. I doubt it would hold a stable arc.

But its a risk free price considering a decent machine is a fair jump in price.

What do you want to weld?
got some minor attachments to my box trailer, bit of 'handie' camping related things.
not planning on build a trailer or anything heavy duty, but one never knows, so i may have to consider amps..

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with that unit.

100a will be lucky to weld 2mm flat out. Its duty cycle will be terrible, meaning you will get the ****s with it very quickly when trying to do any real work (if you can call 2mm real work)

·
Registered
nissan
1,792 Posts

Yeah you would, and you would need a better welder that a SC one. You will also need a role of ali wire and know how to use it. You would probely be better off buying a HF TIG welder and learning how to use that. It will give you much nicer welds.

Kerry welders are like everything else - you get what you pay for.
Whatever way you go id recomend buying a good quality gasless wire rather than a cheap and nasty one.

Also these days you can buy gas welders with a desposable bottle of argoshield id recommend going down this path. Like gasburner said its alot better welding and more peno. Also theres no need to pay for rent on a gas bottle from BOC as you just throw it away and buy another one.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
I happily pay the gas bottle rental. $15 a month is worth every penny

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I don't think 100amp is enough for gasless. I wouldn't really weld panel steel with gasless as it takes a bit more heat to run compared to gas (from what I've found) and if you're doing thicker stuff, I think you'd quickly find the duty limit on 100amp.

Just comparing my experiences with a 150amp Ozito Gasless MIG from business and my 240amp BOC Gas MIG. The Ozito was ****, would over heat and went for warranty replacement 3 times before I got my money back. Might be Ozito, but might have been the low ratings

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts

Alloy welding is in its own ball park just like stainless steel. Its not easy and the environment you weld in has to be quite clean. I would not look at such a big project to start with.

A good welder would be Lincoln Electric MIG and it last for ever. They roll out at $700 dollars and these can do most work around the Patrol and all the other stuff.

TIG welding is really a specialized trade. Our running cost is $2.00 per inch before we add labor. Very expensive welding but what a finish.

With any welder the more amps you use you also have to have to consider the supply line is able to handle that flow of amps. Even my small stick welder of 100 amps is running on its on line from the junction box. Take this into consideration when looking for a welder as it soon can get costly.

Reactions: danrockn

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
yeah I would pass on those cheap welders . if you want to do some little odd jobs on your trailer I would look at a little inverter arc welder, they can be had for cheap, not as cheap as super crap.

Little inverter welders are awesome to use, especially if you have only used the old arc welders, they do a great weld.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
180-200amp

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
I've got a cigweld 135 amp gas/gasless welder.
With right prep it has welded brackets for multiple sliders using 6 mm flat bar.
I've given my sliders a hammering and no broken welds.
It does over heat a bit when fully cranked up which can get annoying but for under $350 can't complain.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
I have a cigweld 165. Great welder. Good size for domestic use. I wouldnt go any smaller but at the same time you dont need 220amp etc

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
so a normal 10amp 240 volt wall plug is good for what size welder?
I had a 15amp circuit put into my shed, 10amp can be a problem depending on how much and how long you use it.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Im on 60 amp but need 50 at full load.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
A tip to go by is work out what the thickest steel you'd weld would be, and then add a bit extra to choose the right welder.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I show this welder I got today that was dumped by our company as the electrode was missing and all welding is now banned.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts