Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just woundering has anyone supercharged a tb42 it would be good for 4x4ing couse the power would be there nealy all the time like when your crawling up a hill instead of waiting for the boost to kick in like with a turbo, with a supercharger it would be almost instant power.
food for thought.

any ideas.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
Great idea. Would be interested to see this build in action. Make sure you use a twin screw blower, rather than an old roots type. Far more efficient.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
blowers seriously aren't worth the effort. You get 90% of the driveability with a correctly matched turbo system for much less cost. But if you want to do something different go for it.

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
yeah have seen a few floating around, looks pretty nice, but there is a fair bit of custom braketry required

·
Registered
nissan
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yhar been looking into it the pully set up alone is gona b costly then brackets then intake manifold i can make it myself sept for the pulies but i dont think the gain is worth the effort.
mabe 230 ish horse 170 kw on 8 psi

would love to turbo it it is fairly easy tb42 efi inlet manifold make a log manifold 2nd hand ecu xr6t turbo oil and water lines efi fule lines and eletric fule pump ect
mabe 270 ish horse power 200 kw on 10 psi
but i need the duel full.

i think for simplisity and bang for buck the 220kw au EFI windsor engine ecu wiring will be the go useable power down low and through the rev range still fairly fuel economic and can be run on duel fuel reliable 302 bellhousing heavy duty clutch pressure plate make engine mounts electric fuel pump
only downside is more redgo but mabe cheaper insurance couse the misses is under 25 what do you do i think this setup will give me less headaches in the long run to seeing as the original engine already has 320,000 in the clock

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
don't know with the 4.2 but i know a few guys with 4cyl toyotas that are supercharged. they go VERY well off the line, no waiting for turbo to spin up. belts are the big head ache. even with high quality belts they just eat belts constantly.
i think they where using V belts so you could make new pulleys and use toothed belts.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Even if you have a gear driven supercharger, the other festive thing about supers is that the generate boost based on RPM, not exhaust gas.

This means that controlled descents just got that much harder, as the super will go into boost if the RPMs go high enough.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
don't know about that. i would have to ask.
i would have thought it would not make much difference. boost on its own is nothing, as there is no, or almost no, fuel then it would not make any difference if it makes boost. don't forget supercharger puts a massive load on the engine.
also my zd30 makes about 2 psi downhill under fuel cut (ie fuel is turned OFF), no problem with going down hills with 3 ton load.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
There is still quite a few factory supercharged cars even now. The new Ford FPV for one. Mercedes were big on superchargers on the 5.5 V8 and the 4 cylinder engines.

There must be some good reasons to use superchargers if factory cars are using them.

Slighty off track but I'm not against turbos by any stretch but I have always felt that V8's in particular are well suited to superchargers. Talking Petrols here too.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I typed up several paragraphs in response to TDs post in that turbo comparrison thread and it did the same to me.

Farkin forum :(

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Well I just typed an essay on pros and cons to blower vs turbo and the result was a 505 error and lost info.

Shame.
Damm Damm Drat and Double Damm!

Stupid 505 error.

I find that happens when i write a long post as well.

I would really have looked forward to your take on the supercharger and turbo chargers.

Cheers

Justin

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
So DT when do we get our rewritten essay keen to know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Yeah tried that and no go :(

Ill start again.

Superchargers lend themselves to being in v8's because of the layout of the engine.
They are much easier to fit in the valley of the engine, rather than trying to squeeze 1 or 2 turbo's beside an already wide 60+deg V8..

A turbo will be easier to fit into the engine bay of any straight engine than a proper blower setup.

Supercharger Pros: Mans blower only (Roots and Twinscrew, not these centrifugal hunks of junk)
Instant boost response
Some late model helix roots blower have very high efficiency (70+%)
Easy to package on some engines (v8 &v6 especially)
Very wide torque and power curve.
Easy to match S/C to engine.

Supercharger Cons:
Very hard to intercool
Can be quite noisy (mechanical noise)
Saps power from the engine to run (important when considering cruise and idle)
Must run bypass setups to limit boost at low throttle openings.
Limited boost range
Some require servicing (oil changes etc..)

Turbo Pros:
Very easy to intercooler
High compressor efficiency (~75% in most applications)
Compact design (easy to fit under bonnet)
Quite operation
Adaptable (multiple boost levels to suit different conditions)
Exhaust drive means engine efficiency is not reduced when off throttle.

Turbo Cons:
Lag - highly depends on setup, but will never be as good as a blower
High underbonnet temps - proper heat shielding must be used.
Very hard to match to engine.
Complicated intercooler pipework required on some cars using front mount coolers

Thats the crux of it all really.

They all have pro's and con's, and it comes down to what you want out of it when choosing the setup.
Neither will make more power than the other, If both are setup correctly.
Both should have excellent throttle response and smooth power delivery, again, if setup correctly.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Nicely put and written.

It's pretty much as I understood it.

You put it more succinctly but I prefer the concept of supercharging on V engines as the packaging is so much neater and simpler.

I have always wondered about those centrifugal blowers. Could you elaborate some more on those? I assume they are simply not very efficient?

Thanks again DT.

Cheers

Justin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts