Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Supercharger or turbo on a sd33

Tags
mk sd33
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Evil! 
#1 ·
I have a good stock sd33 it's done 430000 kms and I am thinking about rebuilding it,
Now what are the pros and cons on either supercharging or just putting a turbo on after the rebuild ?????

#2 ·
I suspect most people here will recomend you go with turbocharging because of availablility of parts and because its been done before. My SD33 is na and I will think about turbocharging in the future.
As the supercharger runs off the crank, there will be mechanical losses due to the engine having to spin the compressor. However you should have instant boost, whereas with the turbo you will get a bit of turbo lag.
I'm no expert about this, I only know what I've read, but, if it were me I would go down the turbo route because it's tried and tested and the parts should be readily available. That said I would love to know how hard/easy a supercharger setup would be.
Good luck, I'm interested to see what everyone else advises.

#3 ·
Well I think that the supercharger would be a better option because it will give me torque straight off the bat , but the turbo is proven towork well, but if no one had really tried it on a sd33 who knows , I think I will go the super charger to see the difference

#4 ·
#5 ·
87mkshorty, there's a fella on the forum, RM&O and he has a supercharger AND turbo setup, try searching for his stuff...

When it comes to turbo vs supercharger, the reason people whack the turbo on these SD33s is A) it's readily available B) more importantly, boost comes on at around 1000 - 1200 rpm, idle is what, 800rpms?

I think B is the reason that most people go with the turbo, it's quite cheap, and also readily available

cheers
Martin

#8 ·
Drag cars run belts on superchargers dont they ???
Issue would be water crossings
But once youve shelled out a motsa for this conversion im sure everything would be thought of

Turbo ,maybe bit bigger than standard run an intercooler,crank some boost up it
I think landy has some youtube footage of an SD33 T with a bigger turbo and boost wound a bit
If he reads this,he mite post the link

#9 ·
your 6/71 and bigger superchargers that you see sticking out the bonnet on supercharged drag cars and like often run toothed belts aka gilmers. ive got a supercharger with a 6 rib belt and it gets a fair bit of slip, going to bung a 9 rib when i get it back on a motor. superchargers also place a lot of load on the crank and the harmonic balancer, its a big issue. my v8 smashed up the harmonic balancer and the keyway in the crank, it needs replacing now. other people have worse dramas, whole front of the crank snapping etc. so thats something to consider.

turbo is the way to go imo. and you dont have to go factory turbo system, could also start your own from scratch.

#11 ·
i well setup 6/71 8/71 and 14/71 that run the gilmor belts are not ment to be tensioned what so ever you'll find when the engine is stopped the belt has somewhat decent amount of play and they rely on the teeth cut belts and pullys here to do the job

on the other hand with all the guys who run the capa style blowers (side mount) iv never seen or herd of a properly setup unit failing causing harm to crank, keyways or balancers and iv seen these blowers rev to the vacinity of 8k on strret/strip cars but then again lets jam a bar between the ideler and bracket and pull that belt up super hard lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.