Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

361 - 372 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10,938 Posts
well to hash this back from the dead.
I have spoken (jagged) speaking to ryan at superior today to order me some coils all round. told him whats on the truck. extended lengths of the shocks and now just awaiting to see what he comes back with. but keen as mustard to get rid of my bloody chithouse suspension stuffed springs. be gone horrid progressive springs.

·
Registered
Nissan
64 Posts
I thought I put a post up saying how I went with warranty but I must have forgotten. My front coils free heights weren't in spec so they sent out dobinsons coils as replacements and there all working as they should holding a touch over the specified lift. For heavy duty springs the ride isn't harsh and not that I tow often but I can put a car trailer with a patrol on the back and still sit level

·
Registered
nissan patrol
500 Posts
I've had superior shocks and springs for about a year now. 3" springs, (sshhhh.......don't tell the law) medium rate in the front for the bar winch & batteries, and +150kg in the rear. Shocks are 5" in the front & 7" in the rear. I said I wanted off road as top priority and on road manners second.
I had to fit drop out cones in the rear as expected. I'm more than happy with the package and the on road manners are fine.
Flex is awesome.
20180129_100804.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan
703 Posts
Bumping and old thread any more feed back?
Looking at new springs wanting 3” but not any higher higher, and weigh 3t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
10,938 Posts
ive no complaints about my superior springs so far. holding height well. rides quite well with minimal body roll. extended length doesnt really work with my shocks to well but i knew that when i fitted them.
but to be honest my next rear coil replacement will be a full airbag setup. infinite variable height and about the lightest spring rate possible all the time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
ive no complaints about my superior springs so far. holding height well. rides quite well with minimal body roll. extended length doesnt really work with my shocks to well but i knew that when i fitted them.
but to be honest my next rear coil replacement will be a full airbag setup. infinite variable height and about the lightest spring rate possible all the time.
Did you find the free heights a bit short? What spring and shock combo are you running?

As far as airbag goes. How do you figure adjustable heights with lowest spring rate possible. Doest increasing bag pressure increase spring rate too?

I will be in the market for springs shortly. Have been looking at getting a custom set made up. King springs want about $450 a pair and dobinsons said a spring is a spring so cant see why it would cost any more than an off the shelf spring.

·
Registered
Nissan
703 Posts
I ended up going dobinsons again,just heavier rates.
2x phone calls(on different days) to superior to talk to someone about the rates which would suit me best, and being told to leave name and no and someone will ring me back......
No one ever rang me so went to my local dobinson dealer.
Rides a lot better now so I’m happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I never expect a call back from big companies. I just say ill call back later and try get the right person on the phone.
Mitch at superior is good to talk to. Having spoken to PSR, king springs, dobinsons and superior about their springs they were all happy to give out free height info. Spring rates they sometimes get a little cagey but generally oblige.
The thing they dont seem to be interested in is the actual sprung weight of the vehicle at each corner. All they want to know is what 'accessories' you have to advise you on one of their off the shelf springs.

I will be getting the sprung weight at each corner of my car once its done then chatting to someone that deals with suspension tuning (not manufacturing) and decide on a spring rate that way.
Then see who can make what i want.

Neither king or dobinsons wanted to advise on spring rates for a given sprung weight but are happy to make what i ask for

·
Registered
nissan
10,938 Posts
Did you find the free heights a bit short? What spring and shock combo are you running?

As far as airbag goes. How do you figure adjustable heights with lowest spring rate possible. Doest increasing bag pressure increase spring rate too?

I will be in the market for springs shortly. Have been looking at getting a custom set made up. King springs want about $450 a pair and dobinsons said a spring is a spring so cant see why it would cost any more than an off the shelf spring.
free height is definitely a bit short. buts its around a 3-4" lift with 5" shocks. wanted to keep it around 3" lift so had to compromise. and free height lost out. coil retainers both ends sorts out the issue easily enough so im not to concerned though.

and as for the airbags. with increased pressure comes increased height and they will only require enough pressure to hold you at the height you want. so if your very light. will only need say 20psi to hold it at a set height. if your loaded and heavy it might need 40psi to hold it at the same height. but its infinitely variable so you always get the ride height you want and the spring rate required to hold it there.
for me thats a win. no need for heavy springs that ride like chit when your empty.

·
Registered
nissan gq
350 Posts
I have a complete rear air bag set up to suit about 3-4" lift, I would sell if you are looking for some.

jim

·
Registered
nissan gq
350 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, not sure on the travel but I reckon it would be right up there they have a shirt load of travel. From memory about 18" travel.
Perfect condition.
Pm for a price

jim

361 - 372 of 372 Posts