Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a mate of mine who is currently in the NT had a near miss this afternoon when a HD Tie Rod end broke while travelling at 90Ks on a dirt road. Luckily no trees in the direct track the car took. Question I have is: has anybody else heard of these breaking before? This is the female cast product that Superior are using. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It was the Pitman arm end.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Never heard of this before? Sounds very odd, especially for the driving conditions.

Where did it break? The joint or the casting?

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,781 Posts
Never heard of this before? Sounds very odd, especially for the driving conditions.

Where did it break? The joint or the casting?
Haven't heard of any failures either, but I've found the rubber boots on the Superior supplied rod ends to be junk. They go hard and split very quickly......

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
I had two brake on the diff end of the pitman arm on my GQ, but they were NOT supplied by Superior. First one was after a heavy hit down a rock step. For the second one, I have no explanation. I went back to genuine Nissan after this experience.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Very interesting, I am running these tie rod ends also, seem to remember them in a "transteering" box and remember talk awhile back in another thread about Superior using them as they are the better quality item on the market and others rushed with cheaper tie rods to get into the market if I remember correctly.

Anyway my Tie rod is bent, the Superior heavy duty item and tie rod ends are still ok but will take a closer look. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
The problem is that you can't really inspect the tirod ends where eventually brake at the bolt between the end of the tapered section and the swivel. Mine definitely was a fatigue crack which developed let go after a while.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Hey guys, a mate of mine who is currently in the NT had a near miss this afternoon when a HD Tie Rod end broke while travelling at 90Ks on a dirt road. Luckily no trees in the direct track the car took. Question I have is: has anybody else heard of these breaking before? This is the female cast product that Superior are using. Cheers

BTW, was it a GQ or a GU and did it have any suspension mods?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys it broke at the casting. GU, 2005. Have done some home work, it think the cast ends are made by Partco who make them for Repco, supercheap and a lot of other suppliers of these parts. I think he may have been just a bit unlucky. Thanks for the responses. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry mate "flexi front end" ?? Not sure what you mean

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No mate, two inch lift. King shockies. Family tourer.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the reply mate. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
I keep flogging out HD drag link ends. Must be the flex on the front maxing out the balls and breaking them. Not sure how to stop it besides maybe a small high steer setup

If you're running 12" + shocks in the front with extended bumpstops to allow them to fit then yes, it may be the flex causing it.

It's more likely that a bad batch of the tie rod ends is on the market.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Nah not death flex on front, it maxes out amada 6inch shocks on the front which is good travel but isn't crazy. By looking at the ball angles at ride hight its already pretty steep, with the passenger side tucked and drivers dropped all the way down,it would be on a mean angle.

But yes, im not running anything massive,so must be a bad batch

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
I've been ok mate though I'm still out of action with a broken leg.

Yeah it'll be good to catch up again mate, how about rusty? last time I spoke to him I think he said he's lost interest in 4b's and into street cars now?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.