Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of rubbish vegetables from the super markets, and fruit in this case. They taste like sh*t. (I've been a toddler, I should know)

So I want to grow my own, all year round.

Does anyone have a greenhouse setup? Even a small verandah setup that can supply two or three tomatees a week? I'm even considering a decent hydroponic setup to grow more than just tomatoes, but stuff like lettuce and silverbeet. (ive got nfi at this stage what im doing - I guess I will add it to the long list of my gunna doos :roll: )

Anyone done this? And how does she go?

Maybe you have veggie's growing on your camper draw bar? Or on a roofrack? :lol: (just trying to keep it patrol related :lol: )

:cheers:

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,254 Posts
Sure it's fruit & veg your trying to grow????

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
I recommend an orange tree and a lemon tree. Both little maintenance. They grow well in the Noosa Climate. If you like limes they go well too. I am lucky here because I have a fruiterer who is supplied from the local farmers. He knows his stuff and doesn't sell rubbish. He's very popular because of his quality and the supermarkets don't affect his business. Maybe you could find such a supplier?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
While you're waiting to set it up, shop at your local farmers market or fruit and vegie shop. It might cost a tiny bit more but you'll get good local stuff in season. What's better is if you're buying good stuff, you will eat all of it and you'll enjoy it more and it'll be better for you and you'll support your local people and you'll waste less and you'll send less to landfill you'll use less carbon miles and you'll fcku the big shops that screw all the locals and its just better.

If you buy ten tomatoes from Coles or Woollies, the first couple are ok but bland, the next few are just old and bland and the rest are just crap that you resent eating if you eat them without throwing them away.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,017 Posts
:lol: nah, I naturally dont need that stuff, clearly lol

Plus the neighbours smoke enough for me them and the next neighbour......
Sends the power bill through the roof as well.
And because you're constantly, uh, "testing" it, you're too high and lazy to work or buy munchie food.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Shelf life is the main criteria, not taste.
Hydro stuff doesn't taste much better. Very little flavour.

Good soil, water and sunshine....the only way.

Talk to your local garden centre, they put me on the right track.

Cheers....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
Shelf life is the main criteria, not taste.
Hydro stuff doesn't taste much better. Very little flavour.

Good soil, water and sunshine....the only way.

Talk to your local garden centre, they put me on the right track.

Cheers....Lionel.
^^^^as above
Tomatoes IMO have to be grown outside and not in glasshouses they just have no taste when grown in glasshouses

My 2c

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Buy a couple of grow bags and lay them on their side, cut them open and trow a tomato in, keep them watered of course and in full sun light.

When you want to pick the fruit, take them when not quite red and put them with some apples in a bowl and the acid from the apples will ripen them for you, that way you can have red tommies when you want and you shouldn't get too many go to waste.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nothing to do with greenhouse or not, just the time they are picked, green so they last the trip and are coloured by the time you see them in shops
Buy local and you can get much better
Try canning types too.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
We buy about 5% of fruit & vegies from the super market, emergency buys only. The others come mostly from a fruit shop in cleveland & some from a fruit stall ar Birkdale.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
plant 1 cherry tomato plant and you will have more than you can eat, i thought they were more of a summer plant but and you grow them over the summer then they die in winter and you plant new ones in spring

1 - 12 of 12 Posts