Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P40 SWB 82 Patrol ... gasoline ... 4WD.

I've got a rubbling that can be heard at 40kph/3rd and 4th gear and coasting. Don't generally hear it a lower speeds, but it could be there and I'm just missing it.

Took the mechanic for a spin so that he, too, could hear it.

His belief is that it's a bearing in the gearbox (front axle area?), but because parts are HARD TO FIND here (Ethiopia), he suggested I drive it untilllllllllll.

Advice needed.
Is this bad advice?

What damage can be caused by not fixing it now? Or is it just going to be an annoying noise and that's about it.

He suggested next time I head to the States for an extended time, that would be the time to fix it, but I'm not headed overseas until June 2011.

Any suggestions on where to get the bearing(s) that might be needing replacement?

Thanks ... diana

·
Registered
nissan
1,385 Posts
Is it more of a whine than a rubbing noise?

If it's more of a rub, then I'd say you want to try to mail order whatever bearings you might need, though checking the gearbox first would be the best bet to make sure that's all.

If it's a whine, try changing the oil in there first to see if that helps it. That's more of a short term fix than anything else though.

My box whines 40kph+, almost have to shout when doing 100kph, so I'm planning on dropping it soon and seeing what's wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts