Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

after some recommendations on where to take my 96 GQ lwb for a 2 or 3" suspension lift, currently have old man emu nitro shocks and don't mind the ride they give but something that soaks up corrugations better would be great, would tough dog ralphs be better for this? and would they give a harsh ride or is harshness of ride more related to the spring?
also hard up deciding what 33" tyres to use??

in dot point to make it clearer:

* who is the best suspension bloke in the Newcastle/central coast area (service/value).

*what spring shock combo would use recommend, want something that really soaks up the bumps and gives a good controlled ride. (currently truck corners like a car on road with the original springs and ome shocks but on corrugated roads shakes the living crap out of occupants). understand a compromise will prob have to be made here.
bilstein, tough dog, old man emu, or what?

* 33" tyres, cant make up my mind here, want aggressive tread but something that will still grip alright on road, was thinking mickey thompson baja m/t or bf goodrich mud terrain t/a even looked at the yokohama geolander m/t + which would last best, best puncture resistance and offer best traction.

*am i asking to many questions?? lol

any help greatly appreciated :)

fyi: GQ LWB 2.8 turbo diesel, will be getting winch/steel bar, mainly touring + some ruff stuff, fairly heavy loads, (family of 5 with luggage) extra tire's and trailer/camper.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got a 50mm, more like 75mm lift all lovells springs with rear airbags and shocks from climax at thornton... bloody good ride .. cant fault em really

·
Registered
185 Posts
got a set in dobinsons and koni 82 all round for my GU ute from suspension stuff online. delivered in 2 days, installed myself after work friday arvo and good to go sat morn. had the poly airs for loads already.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
mate I use to work for Domonick at Selby suspention at Tuggerah he is the absolute BEST in suspention fits the best EFS grear or I work at Recreational car accessories at Wyoming (central Coat) we do OME the owner Bevan can work somthing out for you.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yep agree. Dom is a really good mate of my brother's so I've met him socially a few times and found him to be a top bloke. I got my EFS kit from him recently at a pretty well unbeatable price as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well it sounds like selby at tuggerah might be a go, thanks fellas
im thinking
old man emu nitrocharger sport shocks and ome springs
ARB 4x4 Accessories
and
yokohama geolander m/t+ 33"
Yokohama / OUR TYRES / Geolandar M/T+
or
koni shocks and dobinson springs
Koni: Heavy Track
i think the heavy track raids would be over kill? lol

other thoughts on tires would be

mickey thompson baja radial MTZ
Mickey Thompson Tires - MTZ

or

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

BFGoodrich Tires - Mud-Terrain T/A<sup>KM2</sup>

any thoughts?

oh and does selby supply ome gear? is there a web site for them?

oh and the efs stuff, i keep hearing different stories on them as well are they any good? im thinking there a cheap alternative, is this right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
with the warranty side of things after 12months or so in use they are going to say that its user damage or abuse like most things, it is really only to cover against faulty workmanship which would show itself in the first 12months.

take teac for example it is the worst possible quality stuff you can buy but most of there stuff has 5 year warranty compared to sony yamaha denon marantz that only have between 12months and 3 years, all these brands are far superior then teac. so basically warranty isnt everything but for arguments sake
tough dog ralphs have a 5 Year / 100,000 warranty
and
KONI backs your Heavy Track Red Shocks with a Lifetime Warranty.

after everything i have read and you guys have said efs might be alright as well so that gives me 2 or 3 options so guess it comes down to price and availability

what about tires?

think i would prob be happy with any of the ones i listed have not heard any real complaints about any of them, any of these i should stay away from?

thank you all for the help, i have no experience with 4wd stuff up untill now i have only owned V8 muscle cars lol

like this

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dom can get OME in but mainly EFS, KING'S or Tuff dog, we do OME at Recreational car accessories in Wyoming near Gosford, I prefer EFS.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
think im going to go with
2" lift lovell springs
koni 90 series raid shocks

and whatever tyres i can get the best deal on out of the mickey thompsons, yokahamas or the bf goodrich.

thank you all for the information

now just to get some prices lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
got price on bf goodrich tires today $398 each!! seems pretty pricey lol

im sure the mickey thompsons were $360 or $390 (gotta double check that one, was few weeks ago)
and apparently there is no stock of geolander mt+'s anywhere

this is for 33x12.5xR15

seen some goodyear wrangler kevlars today they even looked alright but we use the wrangler at's at work and they are absolute rubbish so pretty iffy on these.

anyone no of better prices for these?

oh and the car pictured above is for sale if anyone knows some one that would be interested, $10k

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dom can get OME in but mainly EFS, KING'S or Tuff dog, we do OME at Recreational car accessories in Wyoming near Gosford, I prefer EFS.

can use get koni heavy track raids and lovell springs at wyoming? or should i get all the gear elsewhere and bring it in for fitting? (i wont have time to fit myself) so hoping i can find someone to fit it all up before at latest early January

just waiting on a check to clear then want to get it all fitted.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
information for anyone else that may be interested in koni shocks.
this is from toperformance:

Listed here is a description of the three different ranges of KONI Heavy Track Shock Absorbers.

. KONI Heavy Track '82' series low pressure gas/hydraulic dampers.
Very reliable and popular damper that has been successfully serving the 4WD industry for many years.
Great for everyday use with moderate 4WD use in standard temperature environments.
The recommended retail price for a set of front and rear '82' series KONI dampers is $796.00 per set including GST.

. KONI Heavy Track '88' series
A larger piston and oil capacity shock absorber for a more modest investment than the '90' series RAID dampers, the '88' series are great if towing camper trailers, boats, caravans on tarmac roads and off road sections. The '88' series dampers are great fitted to a laden vehicle that will be used and give reliable long term investment.
The recommended retail price for a set of front and rear '88' series KONI dampers is $1292.00 per set including GST.

. KONI RAID Heavy Track '90' series
KONI's largest motor vehicle damper. It is developed for tough desert and high temperature conditions. It's development was undertaken for vehicles running in the grueling Paris-Dakar desert race. It has a large 42mm piston and carries more oil than the '88' series, therefore allowing the damper to run cooler in hotter climates and whilst operating over constant high speed rough surfaces day in day out. The '90' series is the optimum choice for vehicles that will be operated on large rugged expeditions, for example, the Simpson Desert, Cape York, Canning Stock Route where large weights will be carried and possibly towed and the climate is hot. The '90' series are also a great choice for the tradesman towing a large work trailer and carrying extra tools and heavy work equipment.
The recommended retail price for a set of front and rear '90' series KONI dampers is $1898.00 per set including GST.

All KONI Shock Absorbers discussed here are adjustable for variable damping and are also serviceable.
KONI's often outlast the life of the vehicle and in the case of the Nissan Patrol, are often transferable between different era/age Patrols.

As far as Steering Dampers, KONI have a part number for the GQ Nissan Patrol. The recommended retail price for this unit is $187.00 including GST.
hope this helps some others out there ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
take a look @ Maxxis tyres
either buckshots or bighorns in a 33" tyre will be way cheaper & just as good if not better quality.
I personally prefer the buckshots especially for off road I picked up 4 35" bnuckshots from my local maxxis dealer where i live(near morisset) for $260/tyre.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
take a look @ Maxxis tyres
either buckshots or bighorns in a 33" tyre will be way cheaper & just as good if not better quality.
I personally prefer the buckshots especially for off road I picked up 4 35" bnuckshots from my local maxxis dealer where i live(near morisset) for $260/tyre.
yeah was thinking about them, im actually at morisset as well which tyre place? one near caltex?
if can save money on the tyres without compromising on traction & strength then that should guarantee me the raid 90's (mrs is freakin lol) if not may have to go for the 88's
as i only need 33" should be cheaper again only thing is don't think they make 33X10.5 so would need to change rims for 15x8 as well, 33x12.5 require 8" rims apparently :eek:

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
The recommended retail price for a set of front and rear '90' series KONI dampers is $1898.00 per set including GST
... and still cheaper from the UK Inc Freight...
from UK
Rear: 176ea ukp = $576au pr!
Front: 172ea ukp = $558au pr!
Total ~$1134au + freight

although they have come down since I called them

Top Performance - price I was given on phone 28/10/10
$1030.66 front
$1066.92 rear

1 - 20 of 68 Posts