Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top of the morn ta ya all.
I'm not a surfer, but I thought some of you guys probably are.
With the weather systems passing by lately, the news channels have been showing abnormaly large swells. Some of the shots show surfers gathering in huge numbers either waiting for the wave or catching and riding it. Sometimes you can't see the water for the bodies...lol.
Struck me as pretty dangerous when a rider is trying to negotiate his way through all these other blokes bobbing around.
Considering the fins underneath the boards look like knives and could do some nasty damage, curious if there are any unwritten rules or accepted edicate when out on the water.....or just a free for all?

Cheers....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Yeah don't feed the sharks

·
Registered
nissan patrol ti v
119 Posts
There are unwritten rules but like road rules these are only as good as the exercising of the said rules.
Perth isn't known for exercising either of these rules overly well.
There should be etiquette in the water but again Perth can be slow on the uptake.
Basically Don't drop in and stay out of the way of anyone on a wave.
Small swell in Perth today, better in other areas.
And yes the fins cut, boards are hard and impacts are avoided if possible, reef is hard and sand takes skin off.
Cheers,

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
There were reports of 9m swells a fair way offshore up here. To day the offshore winds are to 30Kn but as the winds drop the swell is going to rise, the forecast tomorrow for my close in Mackerel trolling area is 4.6m seas, think I'll give it a miss.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
551 Posts
Don't drop in.
Don't snake another surfer (cut in front when paddling for a wave).
Don't sit in the peak with all the locals unless you're sure you can knock each and every one out.
Be fitter than the next bloke so you can out paddle him.

·
Registered
nissan patrol ti v
119 Posts
one thing I hate the most about it is the rivalry between surfers and body boarders.
seriously we are all out there for same reason yet have had some surfers get real vicious just cause I'm on a body board.
Any sort of bad vibes in the water is wrong. It's there for all to enjoy, but it's important we all stick within our abilities and keep it safe for ourselves all those around. My son rides a body board and if he's having fun in the water I'm happy, stick to the rules and it works well for all. Or just go out during the week when the crowds are at bay, great fun waves this week :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts