1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas
Wondering if anyone can offer any advice on the following:

153K 06 DI full NADS at 140K Dawes was set to 16 PSI Straight 3". Ran like a dream until now.

I recently started having what appeared to be misfires or fuel problems. I filled her up and ran injector cleaner no difference. I then checked my catch can after running and was smoking a little. The oil had filled up to the lower opening on the catch can. So I drained and cleaned the catch can and filter. I also checked the Maf sensor and it was clean. This was a new genuine Maf I had previously fitted so I tried the old one and still the same issues.

Upon taking it for another test drive I noticed the boost gauge sailing right up to 18-20 PSI before backing off. So I pulled the Dawes off and checked the spring and ball which appear to be fine. I also stretched the spring and tried many different settings with no restriction to the boost whatsoever.

This Dawes was the generic type bought from Chipit Perth before they shut down and the first spring supplied with the Dawes did not work even after stretching. Upon taking it back to Chipit he gave me another spring and it worked this is when I set my boost to 16PSI

Last oil change I did the engine oil was 10mm above the full line on the Nissan dipper. Could this or the catch can have fouled the turbo? I have always put 8-8.2 litres of oil or to the top of the dipper or a few mm above.

Has Bosch steel Glow plugs and timer fitted 10-15k ago

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Just to make sure we have a few things straight,

Is this a genuine Dawes Valve, or someones copy, you say it's a generic Dawes? Your description of it not working is worrying, these things are very simple, not much can go wrong with them!!!!

Being set at 16psi is fine, but if you stretch the spring it will go higher not lower.

Do you have a Needle valve with the "Dawes"?

Re oil, 10mm above the fill line is way too high, 8.2L is the correct level and should be considered maximum as well, so this could easily have contributed to the catch can issue.

There are a few things that can cause boost to rise if there is a boost leak very close to the "Dawes" this can rob the unit of the capacity to control the VNT at setpoint but will not necessarily show up on your boost gauge due to location and line size.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GeeYoutoo.

Yes I do have a needle valve and when I installed the Dawes I tuned it and left it I had a happy medium of EGTs 250- 350 general driving and no limp. I agree the Dawes is a simple design the ball has tiny pitting on it but that was always on it and I cleaned it thoroughly with WD 40. I will drain the oil and make sure there is no more than 8-8.2 absolute max.

When I said generic I refer to the brass Dawes with the red thread lock visible I have seen quite a few like this if not most.

No leaks visible as yet and used the vac line recommended with cable ties

Thanks

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Forgot to mention the Dawes had oil in it on the inspection after catch can emptying
Cheers
Now you have explained it, oil build up in the Dawes can cause this, it slows the reaction time of the Dawes severely, where is you boost pick up point? the first time I did it I put it in the underside of the std IC inlet tube and learned a great lesson from it, this allowed blowby to run down the walls of the tube into the boost line when I turned the engine off, and consequently settle in the Dawes.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Geeyoutou

Ok so I lost the Dawes spring and bought another spring and bearing without pitting. Now the Dawes seems to be limiting the boost. I need to find the sweet spot of 16 psi and adjust the spool up with the needle. The pickup point to the boost gauge is in the side of the of the intercooler manifold and I have never had a problem with oil since this overfilling. Car seems a little sluggish but i gues that would be because it needs re tuning. Do I need to replace the vac lines that connects the Dawes and boost up? Could oil be blocking it?
I have a CC intercooler coming soon been 7 weeks already and planned on cleaning out the throttle body when I do that I could replace the vac lines if necessary.
Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Hi Geeyoutou

Ok so I lost the Dawes spring and bought another spring and bearing without pitting. Now the Dawes seems to be limiting the boost. I need to find the sweet spot of 16 psi and adjust the spool up with the needle. The pickup point to the boost gauge is in the side of the of the intercooler manifold and I have never had a problem with oil since this overfilling. Car seems a little sluggish but i gues that would be because it needs re tuning. Do I need to replace the vac lines that connects the Dawes and boost up? Could oil be blocking it?
I have a CC intercooler coming soon been 7 weeks already and planned on cleaning out the throttle body when I do that I could replace the vac lines if necessary.
Cheers
Interesting, you mention pitting of the ball? I've never experienced or seen this, was the Dawes ever laying around for a while, the natural oil "mist" in the system should keep that ball from corroding????????

Mate it would be worth cleaning the lines out at least if the oil has penetrated that far, also pull the line off to the VNT and see if there is any evidence of oil in that vacuum line. Once you have done that I would leave everything else until you get the CCIC, that gives you time to let things settle down so you can know a little more about what has happened.

I've run out of extra springs but I still have around 20 ball bearings left.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
The oil had filled up to the lower opening on the catch can.
If your catch can was full, and you have oil in your Dawes valve (probably from the connection to your IC) you'll need to give it all a good clean or just get some new pipe and replace it. You don't want more oil getting in there later.

Ohh, and put a drain pipe and valve on your catch can and empty it regularly.

Would be interesting to hear if your IC has oil in it too.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot fellas I will clean the throttle body and replace vac lines when I do the XC intercooler. The Dawes ball was always pitted Geeyoutoo from new from Chipit. I will post when I know a little more.
Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
The Dawes ball was always pitted Geeyoutoo from new from Chipit.Cheers
Bloody hell, that's a crappy way to sell something so it doesn't seal correctly, I've handled dozens of Dawes valves and never seen that and none of the 20 odd balls I have in a bag here that Darren sent me last year are pitted, I wonder what Chipit did to it to make that happen?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
2 days ago I noticed my boost only going to 10psi but patrol still running ok, checked all hoses, all seemed normal but there was I section that had no clamp, though it looked ok on pulling it lightly it slid off, appears that under load it was either expanding/ sliding back and forth and leaking air. Have now placed clamp on hose and its all normal again. When this happened there was no change in egts. So just check all are tight as slightest leak will effect performance.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
As we have said many times 99% of the time when there's an issue with a Dawes that has been running well, it's a leak in a hose somewhere.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Absolutley geeyoutoo, that's why I didn't panic and knew having boost but less there was a leak somewhere. I need to find another way to connecting hoses to t piece other than little hose clamps.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
get these little darlins up ya guts. get them from Pirtek I do.:)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I crimp them with Pincers. Once they are on they stay on. Until ya need to rip and tear them off (usually cut them off with Pincers again if need be)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I tried these once and found they tended to cut into the softer hoses, I went to them a few years ago after someone criticised my use of cable ties (x 2 on each) in a pic I posted, I went back to the 2 off cable ties and never had another issue :).

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I think the pick up pipe on my intercooler doesn't even have a cable tie on it! Some fancy red pipe Chaz had when we set mine up.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
I tried these once and found they tended to cut into the softer hoses, I went to them a few years ago after someone criticised my use of cable ties (x 2 on each) in a pic I posted, I went back to the 2 off cable ties and never had another issue :).
The cable ties work well indeed, quick, convenient and not damaging the hoses. :cup:

Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I think the pick up pipe on my intercooler doesn't even have a cable tie on it! Some fancy red pipe Chaz had when we set mine up.
Depending on the barb and the tube most times you don't really need them, I have it only as back up, even though there may be 18.5psi that doesn't equate to a lot over the area we are speaking off, the hose on the back of my high Dawes I had to cut off last time I took it out.

Darren uses red tube sometimes I have a few feet of it here as well, although I haven't used it as I like to keep things the same colour (pedantic), black for boost and blue for vacuum :):):).

The cable ties work well indeed, quick, convenient and not damaging the hoses.

Cheers
Ed Zackery and they are unobtrusive as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts