Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shorty was really rough in the suspension, it had flattened very soft 5 leafs on the front and supper heavy duty 7 leafs on the back it also had the rear shockies upside down. (wrong type)
I ordered and fitted an EFS 2" lifted kit springs, shocks and greaseable shackles. After fitting, the truck was driving like a pogo stick on wheels.
I found that the poly bushes on the front were too tight and were stopping the shackles moving. (I had used the manual settings of 68nm which might be ok for rubber bushes but too tight for poly's)
After backing off the bolt tensions a bit so the shackles would rotate it improved quite a bit however whenever under power with a few bumps it starts crow hopping again.
The rear springs are around the right way.. center bolt located towards the front with long part of the spring towards to rear.
"U" bolts and anchor bolts for the springs are ok, shocks have been "primed" and appear to be OK although the rears feel a bit light.
Anyone ever seen this before or is it a fact of live with short wheelbase MK's????

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Dont the suspension have to be loaded before tightening everything up
I know shocks have to,or the bushes will wear all up the sh*t

Now ya got the correct shocks for the rear ???
(Just thought id ask)

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I have half solved the problem, to test the theory that the new rear shocks were too heavy I did a test drive with no shocks, much smoother ride.
Looks like the valving on the shocks is so heavy the springs hardly get a look in.

·
Registered
nissan
175 Posts
After I got my suspension done it rode much the same as yours - settled down after about a 1000kms and some off road work

·
Registered
nissan
347 Posts
the problem i found with the efs system is the front shackles. they measure approx a poofteenth between the pins and they invert even in onroad conditions. this is the reason i've been bending so many leaves in the front. as far as the back goes i havn't had a problem. i also found the leaf packs are way over rated (weight wise) i dont know if my kit is the heavy duty of medium weight rating but it does ride quite rough.

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,308 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, which I believe are the Iron Man 2 inch lifted (I could be wrong, but all the specs match up)

I can stand on the back of my bumper bar, and with all my weight, I only get it to bounce up and down slightly... NOTHING like a GQ, that's for sure!! :p

So i'm pulling some of my leaves out, I'll let you know how it rides when I'm done

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Its generally the more leafs the stiffer ,and less flex we get
The MK diesel SWB here has many springs on the front and with me sitting on the guard or bonnet , ya wouldnt see any movement

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I bounce on the front bull bar I can see the shackles working and springs are flexing ok if I bounce on the back it hardly moves meant to be 100Kg kit medium rate. Like Seehuusen said the back springs are either too stiff or the shockers are way too heavy. I loaded 200kg in the back and shackles are still straight up and down so I think I'm going to have to pull a few leaves to get a softer ride.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try some $90 a corner ranchos suited to a 2" lift.
Works a treat for me!
Looked at some $200 Rancho adjustables if it doesn't settle down I might get them for my Cape York trip.
Your springs look like they have done a bit of work to flex so easily, my spring packs may be a bit tight. You would reckon that if you buy a suspension kit complete with shackles, springs shocks and U bolts that they would be matched up.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Yeh my springs have done a little more work, but not much really.
The shocks make a big difference on road...Also tire pressures will make a big difference.

What tires are you running and at what pressure?
I run 305/70 MTZs at 34.

And fat chance they would match the shocks and springs. Chances are they havn't even tested these so called kits in the real world!! If they did, they would realise that it doesnt work well together!!!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Another problem is that the springs are no longer than the OEM springs EYE to eye and when they add the extra arc into them, they become shorter and this results in a bad shackle angle.

A proper set of lifted springs will have a longer main and wrap.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another problem is that the springs are no longer than the OEM springs EYE to eye and when they add the extra arc into them, they become shorter and this results in a bad shackle angle.

A proper set of lifted springs will have a longer main and wrap.
How do your shackles look without any load?
Straight up and down?
Skewed to the rear?
Skewed to the front?
Had a look today and could cut the front anchors points off the chassis and move them about 5 cm either way and re-weld.
Don't want to have to buy another spring pack yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts