Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I know that this has already been covered a million times but I just thought that I would share a story that we are currently working through with the WA DOT.

We recently got pulled over by the cops who deemed our car to be illegal due to the three inch lift we had fitted and gave us a canary. Had it over the pits and have now had to remove the lift to try and get it bloody licenced.

According to the inspector at the DOT the mods we had completed were in breach of the 50mm height limit that is stated in VSB 14 (remember that one??) and they wouldn't licence the vehicle unless we completed a lane change test and had it certified by an engineer, which would all be paid for by us and could take up to 6 - 8 weeks to complete and cost around $1000 +.

If it still didn't pass then all that time and money would be wasted and we would have to remove the lift any way to bring it back to a legal height.

In addition to this if we were involved in an accident then our insurance would automatically be void as the modifications were deemed to be illegal.

We have spoken to the insurer and they have confirmed this point so as a consequence we have had to take the troll back to a near standard height as we don't want to be put in that situation.

Is this just an isolated issue that we have been screwed on or is this more common?

Feel free to voice your opinion

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
In NSW:
The proposed National Code of Practice (NCOP) under VSB14 currently requires that minor vehicle suspension modifications up to 50mm (2”) can be carried out provided that they meet the various Australian Design Rules & regulations and meets the safety requirements required. 4WD NSW & ACT supports the self managed modification up to a lift of 50mm in a loaded vehicle.
The proposed NCOP also requires that suspension modifications above the 50mm (2”) up to 150mm (6”) be allowed providing that again the relevant design rules and safety standards are maintained and are approved by a certified Engineering Signatory. This is currently the case in NSW and has been for years.

If the key is loaded vehicle... load the sucker maybe it will peak out at 2".
I have 2" spring lift and 2" body lift but I kept the old body bolts if needed.
I have also fitted 31s until this whole thing is resolved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts