Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've been reading through these suspension forums looking for some thoughts on what to do with my Patrol and, the more I read the more I become confused, as there are good and bad stories about all, which is completely understandable as there are thousands of users and many different experiences.

So at the risk of annoying everyone with another general thread, may I ask a few questions on suspension?

Reason I ask is that my 2013 Patrol already has EFS Elites, 2” lift with coil over air bags in the rear, which are only about 12months old. The vehicle was set-up as a tourer and the previous owner had a caravan. That said, on my trip to Fraser in November the car felt horribly bouncy (too soft) on the inland tracks (but is this good for flex??), and I had a noise from the front right (suspected shock). I took it to Superior Engineering and they couldn't immediately see anything wrong and suggested swapping shocks right to left to see if the noise moved across. Did that, and I haven’t really heard the noise since, but have only done one trip up to DI and Rainbow which didn't have the same bouncing effects as the inland tracks at Fraser.... other thing I’ve noticed is that with the airbags set at 5psi (as there is no load on the vehicle) the back seems about 10mm lower than fronts, and back right is a further 10mm to the left..... so it’s possible that the coils were underrated or have been affected by load.

Note - I am yet to do anything other than beach driving due to work and kid related commitments since purchasing the car and I do want to try it "off-road" before spending the money on replacement, but sounds like at least the coils are underrated in the rear.

So, based on that I want to keep it legal in QLD (2" only) I guess my questions are:

1. What is the real consensus on the OME suspension – is it more suited for tourers or ok for more adventurous 4wd'ing, as I plan to do 4wd'ing Glasshouse/Landcruiser and other 4wd parks.
2. Any experience or knowledge of the Suspension Stuff – 2" Flexy Coils systems?
3. Any experience or knowledge of the Superior Engineering 2" Superflex (arms) systems?
4. The tough dogs adjustable shocks are talked about with generally ok reviews - are there advantages in these, will I really play/adjust the shocks (I love driving but not much of a mechanical tinker).
5. What are recommendation for a good 2” lift (to keep legal) but with the more adventurous tracks in mind, not soft touring?

Any other advise would be great, I’m sorry but I tend to try my best to research before I fall for Mr ARB’s sale pitch on OME being the ultimate/best there is.

Thanks & sorry again if this is too general etc,

Drizzt

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
1. Don't have any experience with OME, but as long as you match the duty rate of the coils and shocks to your setup, they can be as good as any.
2. I had SS flexy Coils in 2" and 3", they sagged quickly and became very rattly. I know have 3" Superior coils and they flex as much as the 3" flexy coils, and ride so much better.
3. I have superflex arms to suit 2"-3" lift, they're good, expensive so not really worth it for most people as drop boxes are still pretty bloody good, although require engineering to remain legal.
4. If you're looking to fork out coin for superflex arms, then go a better shock than the TD adjustable. A good shock like an Armada, Fox, King, Profender, etc will be better than superflex arms.
5. My ultimate 2" lift setup staying legal would be pretty much what I have now; Superior coils, King shocks (maybe the others recommended depending on budget), superflex arms, panhards and drag link to suit, brake lines, etc.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
That bouncing around initially was due to the stuffed shocks, which is gone now.

OME and Superior you can't go wrong with.

Avoid tuff dogs and SS flexy coils

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
5. My ultimate 2" lift setup staying legal would be pretty much what I have now; Superior coils, King shocks (maybe the others recommended depending on budget), superflex arms, panhards and drag link to suit, brake lines, etc.
X2
Very simular dream set up
2 inch OME springs with triple by pass kings

·
Registered
802 Posts
Having had OME, I would say stay away, coils might be OK but the shocks are crap. The only combo I was mostly happy with and I tried 6, was kings and konis.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I had Dobinson springs and Tough Dog adjustables on my GQ and over 100000 kms, 2 Simmo crossings, 2 Cape York trips from Southern NSW and return (towing a trailer all the way both ways), 2 Gulf trips, the Tanami track and a few others, I had zero issues. I found the adjustability of the shocks to be a boon on the bad corrugated roads - turn them down to 1 or 2 and she'd float over the corrugations like an old Cadillac. Get to the better roads, crank them up and away you go.

And I'm going the same way on my GU.

Nor saying they are the best shocks around, just the best I've tried.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
True, I'm not saying TD's are bad, but there is just better and with many of the mid to high range shocks also available with adjusters, they're hands down winners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts