Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had 2" EFS shocks and springs fitted. When going over something like a speed bump with a little pace - i.e. just enough to compress and stretch the suspension a bit, I get a 'rumble' from the front-left as I roll over the bump (i.e. on the other side which suggests its during the extension of the spring/shock, not the compression).

The guy that fitted them said it might just be the coil re-sitting after going over a bump and it will probably settle down. Not particularly satisfied with that explanation!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Have a look at the coil and how it sits over a bump on the diff.
I think you'll find a shiny spot there where the first turn of the coil is rubbing metal to metal.
they do that and it will probably settle down. Still not satisfied? :)

Spray the shiny spot with a tiny bit of crc or give it a single drop of oil and see if the sound changes. that will tell you if you have the culprit. not a good idea to oil springs, but just do it to confirm that is the source of the noise.

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL - yeah satisfied-ish!

Thanks mate, will give it a go and see how it sounds.

cheers

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
If it does change the noise I would suggest reseating the coils in a slightly different position. Perhaps place the end of the coil winds a little bit further away from their notch-outs on the spring seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts