Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey pplz,

Looking at upgrading the suspension in my GUII. Currently has stock standard suspension with assisted airbags in the rear. They were already there when i got the car.

Only things on the trol atm is a tracklander roof rack and the standard nissan alloy bullbar.

Will be looking at putting in a long range tank about tax time next year.

Maybe upgrade the bull bar to winch bar with winch later on, 2 year maybe.

Also 33's by the end of next year hopefully.

If i go and put a 2" lift kit in, will putting the long range tank in drop the suspension much? Would 3" be better?

Been thinking about heavy springs in front and medium in rear. At this stage the trol mostly get used around town carting the misses and 3 kids. Gets pretty loaded up when we go away on long weekends.

Also looking at doing the canning soon.

Any thoughts about how big a lift and what springs would be handy.

Cheers

-lewi

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
943 Posts
If you will ride on 33 , then + 2 is enough, if you will go to 35 then it is necessary to put +3

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
knew that bit already, just wanted to know if putting the bigger tank in and steel winch bar willl drop a 2" inch to much to run 33's... might also add a rear wheel carrier.

cheers mate.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You need to run the correct springs for the load you will carry, with a twin rear wheel carrier and long range tank you will need H/D springs. Unloaded the vehicle will ride a little more harshly but when loaded up will work well. If I were you I would leave the suspension till last then you will know the exact weight and then you can set up your suspension to suit. I have H/D springs and polyairs in the back of my GQ and when loaded I still get some sag even when running max air pressure.

If you are doing the canning you will definatley need H/D springs as you will have to carry an additional 80l of diesel and 80l of water in addition to a LR tank.
+ food fo 20 days.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can run 33's on standard springs, so with 2" you'll be fine.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
i run 33's on standard ride height, its sweet, scrapes at full lock though :)

they are 12.5 wide though

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Don't be afraid to run HD suspension if you intend to load it up with steel accessories. I started with HD then ended up having to swap the springs out to thicker stiffer coils again with the extra weight. I'm now running Extra HD and find it still very soft. A good 2inch providing it does not sag will let you run 35's if need be. Just need to space out the radius arms otherwise it may rub on the front mud flap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for replys

anyone know if there is a noticable power drop when running 33's on a 3.0L?

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
if you wanted the extra height after you have gone with a 2" spring then you could always just put in some coil spacers

·
Registered
nissan
339 Posts
Hi, I got 2inch EFS, I chose them because they had the best warranty, 3 years 100,000 km, and the H/D springs, it did firm up the ride, but its ok, handles heaps better.
The 2 inch lift, lifted my front 90mm, and the back a bit more, not sure why, perhaps the old coils were soft, only done 80,000 km.
2 inch is a good thing, I run 33s too, your speedo will be out, don,t be sucked in and stuff around with speedo correction boxes, just get another speedo gear, and it will be spot on, about 60 bucks from nissan need one tooth less on the gear, think thats right.
You will loose a little bit of low down grunt with the 33s and a little bit of braking capacity, but only very little.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
I got Old man emu 2" lift and 33" wheels, pulling a 2 tonne camper trailer it pulled the back down a tad so I put airbags in the bag (which lifted the back by about 10mm with 7psi in them) and put 15mm coil spacers in the front as I have a steel bullbar and winch and I think its perfect now!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hi, I got 2inch EFS, I chose them because they had the best warranty, 3 years 100,000 km, and the H/D springs, it did firm up the ride, but its ok, handles heaps better.
The 2 inch lift, lifted my front 90mm, and the back a bit more, not sure why, perhaps the old coils were soft, only done 80,000 km.
2 inch is a good thing, I run 33s too, your speedo will be out, don,t be sucked in and stuff around with speedo correction boxes, just get another speedo gear, and it will be spot on, about 60 bucks from nissan need one tooth less on the gear, think thats right.
You will loose a little bit of low down grunt with the 33s and a little bit of braking capacity, but only very little.
My speedo is correct by GPS with 33's and standard speedo gear (or maybe 1% slow). A lot of others have said this too. Standard tyres, speedo reads about 5-6% fast.
98 GU TB45E manual trans.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info guys.

Looks like my plan is to put the fuel tank in first and see how much it drops when full. Then do 2" inch. If not good enough then put the spacers in.

pretty helpful info cheers again

-lewi

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Put everything on, then do the suspension last and there wont be a problem

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Shocks are shocks right? I don't see the importance of fitting them after you've added everything.

Are you guys referring more to the coils or am i missing something?

eg: lets say im keen on efs, and i fit them to the truck, then later fit coils to the appropriate weight im going to carry, be it a trailer or be it nothing at all.

What would be wrong with that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i get the idea of fitting everything first. But the wheel carrier and the steel bull bar with a while away yet.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Then keep your poly's and use these to compensate for the extra weight when loading up but get the correct springs for the weight that the car will always carry.

Yes Tonka referring to springs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts