Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a suspension upgrade to my 2009 GU Wagon using Tough Dog 2 inch lift springs rated to 300kg, 41 bore foam cell shocks, adjustable panhard rods and return to centre steering dampner. I'm running BFG All terrains on 17 inch wheels running at 34 psi and looking for any suggestions to improve the ride as the on road comfort is worse than before the upgrade - I can feel every bump. The back of the vehicle is without a set of drawers and the front is carrying a steel bullbar without winch. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
I've just had a suspension upgrade to my 2009 GU Wagon using Tough Dog 2 inch lift springs rated to 300kg, 41 bore foam cell shocks, adjustable panhard rods and return to centre steering dampner. I'm running BFG All terrains on 17 inch wheels running at 34 psi and looking for any suggestions to improve the ride as the on road comfort is worse than before the upgrade - I can feel every bump. The back of the vehicle is without a set of drawers and the front is carrying a steel bullbar without winch. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers
Did you fit this gear or did a company recommend and fit it? I have had TD adjustable foam cells for many years and no worries, some will call them 'budget' gear but just recently I upgraded to the 45mm adjustable, are yours adjustable? Sorry, can't remember my spring rating and mine are Dobinson anyway, but I'm sure they are lighter than 300kg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you fit this gear or did a company recommend and fit it? I have had TD adjustable foam cells for many years and no worries, some will call them 'budget' gear but just recently I upgraded to the 45mm adjustable, are yours adjustable? Sorry, can't remember my spring rating and mine are Dobinson anyway, but I'm sure they are lighter than 300kg.
thanks geeyoutoo - no all parts were fitted by supplier. am thinking adjustables could be the go - just surprised at the amount of movement on the road when I hit the slightest bump - new to gu's so trying to figure out if it's a common trait and what I've got is as good as its going to be

·
Registered
nissan
5,107 Posts
I had to fit all Tough Dog gear for the 3550 kg GVM upgrade. I have the 300 kg springs in the rear with the 41mm foam cell shocks all round.
I find it way better than the stock suspension it replaced but I carry a fair bit of weight.
I run Bridgestone A/Ts at 40 psi on the 16” rims

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
thanks geeyoutoo - no all parts were fitted by supplier. am thinking adjustables could be the go - just surprised at the amount of movement on the road when I hit the slightest bump - new to gu's so trying to figure out if it's a common trait and what I've got is as good as its going to be
The GU is not the smoothest ride among 4x4's but can still be made quite comfortable. I have a 3" lift and also run BFG KO2's @ 38psi cold. Wife and I do many very long trips in our retirement and I can drive all day and still get out feeling good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The GU is not the smoothest ride among 4x4's but can still be made quite comfortable. I have a 3" lift and also run BFG KO2's @ 38psi cold. Wife and I do many very long trips in our retirement and I can drive all day and still get out feeling good.
that's good to hear - I drove for an hour yesterday and it wasn't comfortable. Have loaded up the back with 100 kg and will see how it performs - fingers crossed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to fit all Tough Dog gear for the 3550 kg GVM upgrade. I have the 500 kg springs in the rear with the 41mm foam cell shocks all round.
I find it way better than the stock suspension it replaced but I carry a fair bit of weight.
I run Bridgestone A/Ts at 40 psi on the 16” rims
Thanks John. I've loaded up the back and will see if the weight makes a difference

·
Registered
nissan
5,107 Posts
Thanks John. I've loaded up the back and will see if the weight makes a difference
Typo they’re 300 kgs constant not 500 kgs

I have those heavy Titan drawers and they’re loaded with tools and all the recovery gear.
I also have Polyair bags but only run them at 5 psi

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,630 Posts
300 kg springs are very rigid. If you are not carrying any extra weight they are going to feel very rough. Even with just the bar on the front it's only approx 80kg (steel) extra so nothing like 300kg.
If you have changed from gas shocks to foam cell you will also feel the difference. Unless they are adjustable, foam cell definately make suspension feel more rigid so you probably have a double whammy effect.
Too rigid spring rate and more rigid shocks = big surprise!
Is there a reason you were recommended such a heavy suspension setup?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
that's good to hear - I drove for an hour yesterday and it wasn't comfortable. Have loaded up the back with 100 kg and will see how it performs - fingers crossed
I also have draws that are full of tools and bits and pieces needed when your out on the backblocks, my old DI runs very close to 3T last time I had it on a weighbridge, I have airbags but only run 5psi. BTW I'm currently not towing.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks Benny - taking it back next week - just trying to nut it out if it's a weight issue ie too light in the rear end
Unless you plan on adding a heap of gear in the back definitely get them swapped out.
Remember a set of steel drawers weigh close to 80kg before you start putting anything in them. It adds up very quickly.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you have changed from gas shocks to foam cell you will also feel the difference. Unless they are adjustable, foam cell definately make suspension feel more rigid so you probably have a double whammy effect.
Too rigid spring rate and more rigid shocks = big surprise!
Interested what makes the design of a foam cell inherently more 'rigid' than a gas shock?

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,295 Posts
Get the springs swapped for a lighter grade and get some airbags for the odd occasion that you do carry the extra weight. This assumes you have already reinforced the rear spring towers.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,630 Posts
Interested what makes the design of a foam cell inherently more 'rigid' than a gas shock?
Me too! But I do know first hand that swapping from a gas shocks to foam cells without changeing the coils, makes the ride feel more rigid. I've done it twice using 2 different brands of foam cells, same result both times

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Me too! But I do know first hand that swapping from a gas shocks to foam cells without changeing the coils, makes the ride feel more rigid. I've done it twice using 2 different brands of foam cells, same result both times
Which brands of shocks did you try?

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,630 Posts
Which brands of shocks did you try?
First time round 15 years ago was on a triton dual cab from standard shocks to ironman foam cell. They were so rough i went back and they agreed to swap them for ironman gas shocks. They were much more compliant than the foam cells.

Second time i went from OME gas to pedders foam cell on the front of a patrol about 10 years ago. Once again a significant change in rigidity.

I also just remembered 5 years ago i did a gvm upgrade on my brand new 2016 patrol through pedders. I have since changed the shocks to tough dog adjustable foam cells to make the ride more compliant.

Reactions: Benny Jahmin

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,295 Posts
I do know first hand that swapping from a gas shocks to foam cells without changeing the coils, makes the ride feel more rigid.
The technology of shock construction has little to do with ride rigidity. That is controlled by damping rate. It sounds like the foam cell shocks you used had higher damping rate. Construction type has more to do with durability and fade than it does with ride rigidity.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The technology of shock construction has little to do with ride rigidity. That is controlled by damping rate. It sounds like the foam cell shocks you used had higher damping rate. Construction type has more to do with durability and fade than it does with ride rigidity.
I think it may have been a tough dog or ironman marketing speil on foam cells but it mentioned not having the cylinder pressurised with gas reduces harshness.
I guess that could make sense as the more shaft is inside the shock the more pressure is pushing it back out. I have no idea if that has any significance in the real world though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts