Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
The technology of shock construction has little to do with ride rigidity. That is controlled by damping rate. It sounds like the foam cell shocks you used had higher damping rate. Construction type has more to do with durability and fade than it does with ride rigidity.
I guess if that is true it is purely the marketing of a heavier duty shock aimed at keeping big weights under control on the roughest of roads the only reason why I've had the experience I have to date.

I wonder if the newer breeds of foam cells are more compliant?

Reactions: way_patrol

Registered
I have 41mm td shocks rtc dampener and king springs on my 08 gu wagon and its pretty dam nice on the road for what it is. Cant have too high of expectations for a modified 4x4 of this weight though comfort wise but can drive mine pretty well 12 hours non stop with no complaints compared to alot of vehicles iv driven.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
300 kg springs are very rigid. If you are not carrying any extra weight they are going to feel very rough. Even with just the bar on the front it's only approx 80kg (steel) extra so nothing like 300kg.
If you have changed from gas shocks to foam cell you will also feel the difference. Unless they are adjustable, foam cell definately make suspension feel more rigid so you probably have a double whammy effect.
Too rigid spring rate and more rigid shocks = big surprise!
Is there a reason you were recommended such a heavy suspension setup?
Thanks Trev.

I've dropped a set of drawers in and it has made a considerable difference. I was recommended the 300 kg springs as I will be towing a jayco eagle van. I think once the drawers are ful of recovery gear etc it'll be a lot more comfortable. Can I ask what 33's you're running and on what size rim?

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Thanks Trev.

I've dropped a set of drawers in and it has made a considerable difference. I was recommended the 300 kg springs as I will be towing a jayco eagle van. I think once the drawers are ful of recovery gear etc it'll be a lot more comfortable. Can I ask what 33's you're running and on what size rim?
I like the look of series 3 alloys so I'm running them at the moment. I have 2 sets, one with hankook muddies for exploring the mountains and another with all terrains for touring. I still have my series 4 alloys in new condition wrapped with Mickey T's stacked in the shed (not sure what I'll do with them yet馃). All are 33's

From memory the Jayco Eagle is the biggest of their campervans(???) but still are not that big or heavy. With GVM's being such an issue these days, unless you have a heavy tow ball weight, do a lot of towing or have a gvm upgrade you would be hard pressed to need +300kg coils in each corner.

That's just my oppinion of course 馃槈

Reactions: way_patrol

Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
I've dropped a set of drawers in and it has made a considerable difference. I was recommended the 300 kg springs as I will be towing a jayco eagle van. I think once the drawers are ful of recovery gear etc it'll be a lot more comfortable.
OK the Van goes a bit towards explaining why they did it that way. My draws are full of tools and bits for when your outback, that is why mine goes very close to 3T, I don't tow anything after I sold my Boat and Camper a few years ago, I used airbags to 'balance' the vehicle, I still run 5psi in them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
have dropped the set of drawers in the back together with about 50 kg of gear and ride isn't that brilliant. was wondering what coils you guys have in your patrols as I don't want to have to keep chucking weight in the back to try to improve the ride. as said previously I have the 300kg rated Tough dog coils. any suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm starting to not enjoy driving it.

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
have dropped the set of drawers in the back together with about 50 kg of gear and ride isn't that brilliant. was wondering what coils you guys have in your patrols as I don't want to have to keep chucking weight in the back to try to improve the ride. as said previously I have the 300kg rated Tough dog coils. any suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm starting to not enjoy driving it.
You mentioned previously this suspension change is pretty new????
If so I'd be making contact with the guys that fitted it for you and explain that you are not happy with the ride. If they are half decent humans they should swap it out for something that suites you better. Worth a shot.....

Work out how much extra weight you are carrying on the front and the rear so you have an idea on your head before you chat to them, and have a pretty good idea of what you want to use it for. If you are only towing intermittently then consider adding helper airbags (as @geeyoutoo mentioned above) for those times of extra load. That way you can have a much lighter rated spring for general running about and are not constantly sacrificing comfort when not loaded. I run airbags too and I think they serve their purpose quite well.

Also ask them If they have had any feedback around the ride difference between gas shocks and the foam cells you have. If you are not rattling along the roughest tracks or towing/carrying heavy loads frequently, gas shock will do the job nicely and IF they give a more compliant ride then the choice is obvious.

It saddens me that a shop selling suspension seem to have gotten it so wrong for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You mentioned previously this suspension change is pretty new????
If so I'd be making contact with the guys that fitted it for you and explain that you are not happy with the ride. If they are half decent humans they should swap it out for something that suites you better. Worth a shot.....

Work out how much extra weight you are carrying on the front and the rear so you have an idea on your head before you chat to them, and have a pretty good idea of what you want to use it for. If you are only towing intermittently then consider adding helper airbags (as @geeyoutoo mentioned above) for those times of extra load. That way you can have a much lighter rated spring for general running about and are not constantly sacrificing comfort when not loaded. I run airbags too and I think they serve their purpose quite well.

Also ask them If they have had any feedback around the ride difference between gas shocks and the foam cells you have. If you are not rattling along the roughest tracks or towing/carrying heavy loads frequently, gas shock will do the job nicely and IF they give a more compliant ride then the choice is obvious.

It saddens me that a shop selling suspension seem to have gotten it so wrong for you.
thanks trev for the feedback. I've spoken with the manufacturer - 0-300kg coils are the lightest they have for the 50mm lift - they have commented that they haven't had any issues in the past - I have also been in contact, this morning, with a couple of other suspension shops to see what they would recommend - waiting to hear back from them before contacting the retailer I purchased from. fingers crossed I can get it sorted - was seriously thinking last night about selling the car on and getting something else

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
First time round 15 years ago was on a triton dual cab from standard shocks to ironman foam cell. They were so rough i went back and they agreed to swap them for ironman gas shocks. They were much more compliant than the foam cells.

Second time i went from OME gas to pedders foam cell on the front of a patrol about 10 years ago. Once again a significant change in rigidity.

I also just remembered 5 years ago i did a gvm upgrade on my brand new 2016 patrol through pedders. I have since changed the shocks to tough dog adjustable foam cells to make the ride more compliant.
Finally getting the Patrol sorted. Tough Dog are swapping out the foam cell shocks to adjustables in the rear - being fitted this week. Also noticed (obviously i'm not very observant) that the whole rear axle has moved about 45 mm to the right after the panhard rod and new suspension was fitted - this maybe has caused issues with the ride - fingers crossed this'll fix it.
Road surface Plant Grass Road Landscape
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Premium Member
nissan
Any increase in suspension lift will move the axles to the right. If the panhards were replaced they should have been replaced with adjustable ones or fixed ones of the correct length for your lift. Changing panhards should not alter ride comfort.

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
inally getting the Patrol sorted. Tough Dog are swapping out the foam cell shocks to adjustables in the rear - being fitted this week. Also noticed (obviously i'm not very observant) that the whole rear axle has moved about 45 mm to the right after the panhard rod and new suspension was fitted - this maybe has caused issues with the ride - fingers crossed this'll fix it.
Good to hear, let us know the outcome馃槈

How high does your rig sit? 45 mm shift seems like a lot. Did the shop not recommend an adjustable panhard?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good to hear, let us know the outcome馃槈

How high does your rig sit? 45 mm shift seems like a lot. Did the shop not recommend an adjustable panhard?
hey trev. yep its an adjustable panhard - just wasn't adjusted correctly - will let you know how it all goes

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
hey trev. yep its an adjustable panhard - just wasn't adjusted correctly - will let you know how it all goes
Your experience to date is not painting a great picture for the shop that installed the suspension. Unless there is some other explanation for the poor adjustment of the panhard, that in itself, is just unacceptable in my oppinion.

Good luck today

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Your experience to date is not painting a great picture for the shop that installed the suspension. Unless there is some other explanation for the poor adjustment of the panhard, that in itself, is just unacceptable in my oppinion.

Good luck today
Yes I'm not that impressed with the business' that installed and then carried out the alignment. Should probably have gone elsewhere but they are, from all reports, a reputable and capable business.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts