Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner and I are considering downsizing on vehicles. I am getting a new motorbike so she is getting my old one. That means that running an Astra, a GQ, and two bikes is too much for us.

We both want to sell our cars and go halves in a small 4WD. I originally got my Patrol because we love to get out camping. However, we just haven't had the time this year so the Patrol has not seen much use. As you all know the rego on a 6 cylinder, plus the cost of a thirsty GQ, is substantial.

So our thinking is that I will continue to commute on my bike and she will have the option of her bike or a small 4WD.

At first I wanted to get a Suzuki Sierra because I had heard good things about them, both as a car in general but also as a relatively capable off-road 4WD. But I have been doing some thinking and I realised that for the same money I can get a Jimny that has coils, EFI, and generally more comfort; plus it will be considerably cheaper to run, repair, and maintain than the GQ. Then I can just put some new tyres and suspension on it if I feel the need.

So after that rather long-winded piece, I was wondering what people thought of the Jimny as a small 4WD? Keeping in mind that I will not be doing any serious 4WD (well... I will need to test it capabilities obviously! :p)

Do people know much about their quality and any known problems?

I realise that I may be asking a rather biased Patrol-loving crowd. But if it makes you feel any better I am thinking of getting a sticker made up that says "in my previous life I was a Patrol" ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey rage

Nice to see you put that front bar on I sold you.

I recon the Jimny is a fantastic peice of kit for what it is.

IT IS NOT A SOFT ROADER

It has got coils all round, live axle front and rear, plenty of aftermarkt bits, basicly it's a mini patrol.

A bit limited in space but you and your girl are both skinny little things so you shouldn't have any problems, also with only two of you, you can load up the rear with all the camping gear even if you can't sleep in the back of it.

Try to get the early model with twin sticks rather than electronic low range selection.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and i had one a long time ago. They are an awesome car. I took the back seats out when we went camping for a bit more room.
Very capable car off-road.
Only downside is on the highway at 100km/h it was reving at about 3,400!!!! Not alot left for overtaking:D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
One of the 4wd mags took one across the Simpson a while back and were quite glowing in their opinion of it. I think the only beef was the limited carrying capacity.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Does she also carry your balls around in her bag?

How much difference is the cost of rego for a 4cyl vs a 6cyl, I would think it would be hardly worth it..

·
Allergic to IFS
1,006 Posts
A lot of security parol companies use the jimny up here in qld and rack up huge miles with little fuss. i personally think they are a great little 4B and Suzuki do have a good reputation for producing little cars that can go places. The Vitara isn't bad either but you pay more for the luxuries and if you're like most patrol owners you'll find you are allergic to IFS.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
They are mostly good but we have replaced about 10000 coil packs due to them Burning out. They can develop a shimmy in the front similar to the patrol death wobbles. And won't flex Overly well due to the radius arm design front and back likeable to a Nissan front.
Apart from that they are a pretty good little car and quite capable for their size just have to get used to living life on the edge.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you are not into serious 4wding, then get some IFS-live axle like 90 series pardo, jackaroo, even all indepent Pajero. They tour much better than a Jimny and have more room. I cannot imagine a loaded jimny with A/C on can overtake a slow truck on the highway.

All the above would be about $20000 marks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does she also carry your balls around in her bag?
JoelM why don't you keep your thoughts to yourself, I am just after some feedback. If you actually read the whole post you would find that it is more than the cost of rego that is behind the desire to downside.

Thanks for the info guys. It pretty much substantiates what I already thought. Our budget would be under $10,000 anyway.

·
Registered
776 Posts
JoelM why don't you keep your thoughts to yourself, I am just after some feedback. If you actually read the whole post you would find that it is more than the cost of rego that is behind the desire to downside.

Thanks for the info guys. It pretty much substantiates what I already thought. Our budget would be under $10,000 anyway.
What else is in play for the deciding?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You will struggle to get one for $10,000 Id imagine unless it had a fair few kms on it..We brought one brand new and had it 6 months (6,000kms) and got rid of it... Sure it was good on fuel and pretty good on the sand, but thats about it..Underpowered, dont even try and overtake at 100km/hr and be careful when trucks come past in the other direction, the Jimny almost feels like it will get blown off the road..They are small and cramped inside, and if you have kids or are looking to have kids in the future I sure as hell wouldnt put my kids in one, too small and dangerous for my liking.. But each to there own, Id be more inclined to look at a something bigger even if its a Vitara or something like that..Goodluck

·
Give it some goat
2,697 Posts
Rage778 you will really have to take one for a drive to see if it suits you. It will depend alot on what type of driving you will be doing aswell, i picked up an 89 hardtop sierra with 120 thou for 5g. The jimny is very similar just a little bit more 'recent', both cars are great around town but i wouldn't purchase one if you do alot of highway work. Offroad in stock form both cars are great little fun but will never be as good as a patrol in really hard terrain (due to wheelbase). My GQ had gu front diff twin lockers 36s etc etc and i have more fun driving my stock zook. I really wouldn't worry about what Joel M thinks either, he does come across as a tool who clearly doesn't know what he is on about. If you have any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I had a 1.3 Sierra for several years with an OME lift kit and otherwise standard driveline and as capable as they are, they are really quite asthmatic and gutless in standard form and noisy and uncomfortable on the open road.
In all honesty I agree with Yom, a SWB pajero would be a better option, or if you must have a Suzuki then the Vitara would be a better all rounder.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a 2003 Jimny with 36,000 for $10,500, only "one lady owner since new, never used as a 4WD".

The only highway driving this would see would be to and from a camping weekend. For the record, a few of you have mentioned touring in these. For our purposes, the Jimny will just be for weekend camping trips. Due to work circumstances we won't get much time to do anything else for the next 12-24months.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would it have less guts than my 96 GQ RB30? :p

Now you guys have got me thinking!

Realistically, apart from rego and fuel efficiency, would a Suzuki really be cheaper than another SWB like a Pajero in terms of maintenance, repairs, etc?

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
actually dlp81 makes a good point, whilst the Jimny is pretty capable off road and due to it's light weight and size can get pretty far off road and has so much aftermarket gear to make it better. The Vitara LWB is good too, certainly cheap, have lots of aftermarket about as well and would have the power to drag a motorbike trailer unlike the Jimny.
I had a Vitara shorty and it was a pain to take camping (only a fraction bigger than the Jimny) but I had some engine work and a lift done and it went pretty well off road.

Anyway that's my 2c worth

Or... you could look at a Forester, under 10k, can be lifted 50mm will run (and i laugh as i type this) 27" rubber have dual range gears in the manual.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What have you guys done to me?! I had nearly made up my mind before I posted on here... now a multitude of other options are coming to mind for what I can do with $10,000!! :p

The point of this is that it has to be a small/SWB 4WD as my partner will most likely commute in it. It has to reduce overall costs in comparison to my Patrol, and it has to be relatively fuel efficient.

Are you guys suggesting the Pajero in terms of quality and affordability?

·
Registered
215 Posts
hey mate. i have a GU and a new jimny. for 2 people i found its doable camping and is fun. but you really do notice the short wheel base and the underpoweredness.

maybe look at a new grand vitara or a newer swb pajero.

make sure you have a good extended test drive in any of them before you commit to any of them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts